Hiring a Student in 4 Easy Steps
Registered and attending Graduate and Undergraduate students are eligible to participate in the Student Employment program after they have been deemed eligible. All positions must be approved and posted before they can be filled.
- Federal vs. Department Funded
- I-9 Regulations - Must be completed before students should be allowed to begin working! Students that begin working prior to authorization from the Student Employment Office will be charged to the department's budget. Violation of this policy will result in the loss of the privilege of having FWS students for the department.
- Time Sheet Process and Schedule
- Supervisor guidelines
2. Post and Review
- Supervisors must create and submit available positions in their departments to be posted every fiscal year.
- To post these positions, log on to PageUp using your SHU username and Piratenet password.
- Review each applicant and respond to them in a timely manner.
- Select candidates and invite for interview. Notify candidates who are not selected.
- Request the position to be closed.
- Review responsibilities and position expectations.
- Explain all aspects of the position and ask if there are questions.
- Complete the hiring proposal in PageUp and submit it electronically to Student Employment for review and processing
- Confirm student’s acceptance of the position by electronically sending the offer and onboarding form to the applicant being hired.
- Advise the student to complete the I-9 form if he/she has never worked on campus.
- View the status of the hiring proposal via PageUp – Review notes will be listed in the salary notes field to advise of the status of the hiring proposal
- Give student a copy of the position description and time sheet schedule.
- Verify work hours with the student.
- Complete confidentiality agreement with student (optional). Copy of Confidentiality Agreement can be obtained from Student Employment via email request.