The characteristics of the Seton Hall University student can be defined across multiple dimensions. The most fundamental "vital statistics" for undergraduate students include standard measures of academic preparation, such as test scores, high school GPA, and high school class rank.
For graduate students, incoming data includes undergraduate GPA, and standardized test scores. Beyond numerical data, however, other characteristics are essential if the university is to develop the next generation of servant leaders. For example, a diverse student body broadens the scope and understanding of all members of the community.
We seek students who share our vision, in its huge variety, of contributing to the public good – enriching the spirit, committing to social justice, helping others, and reflecting on difficult questions. We seek students who are creative and innovative, students willing to take risks, intellectually as well as spiritually.
Identify, Recruit, and Graduate Academically Prepared Students
- Significantly increase undergraduate student selectivity as measured by SAT, high school GPA, class rank, acceptance rates, and yield rates.
- Significantly increase undergraduate student success rates as measured by retention rate, graduation rate, employment rates and other measures.
- Determine optimal undergraduate and graduate student body size.
- Significantly increase graduate student selectivity as measured by GPA, scores on standardized tests, and other measures.
- Significantly increase graduate student success rates as measured by retention rate, graduation rate, employment rates and other measures.
Enhance and Expand Opportunities for Student Success
- Create a Center for Academic Excellence that would centralize and oversee all non-course-work academic functions at the University.
- Explore feasibility of expanding experiential learning opportunities, living/learning opportunities, and other support mechanisms that can positively impact student success.
- Optimize the use of technology, in all its forms, to enhance student success.
- Ensure excellence in every support area through selective investment and regular reviews, with clearly articulated standards of excellence and integrity, demonstrable outcomes, and alignment of resources.