I joined the Stillman School of Business in the Fall of 2002 as an Associate Professor of Finance. My teaching interests are in investments and fixed income. My research covers exchange-traded funds, hedge funds, mortgage-backed securities, emerging markets and risk management. I have published over three dozen research articles in high-quality finance journals and a book on international investments. I have frequently presented at national and international conferences. I was promoted to a Full Professor of Finance in the Fall of 2007 and served as Chair of the Finance Department from 2008 to 2010. I am a winner of many research awards and grants, including the 2014, 2009, 2007 and 2006 Seton Hall Researcher of the Year Award, the 2007 NJPRO Bright Idea Award in Finance, the 2006 Real Estate Research Institute Research Grant, and the Stillman Research Achievement Awards from 2003 to 2010.
I have also received recognition for my teaching achievement at the Stillman School. Prior to joining Seton Hall University, I was an Assistant Professor of Finance with the Cook School of Business at St. Louis University. I received my Ph.D. in Finance from Syracuse University with honors in 1998. I am also a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and the principal contact for the CFA University Recognition Programs at Seton Hall.
Courses at Seton Hall
- Investment Analysis (BFIN 4227)
- Fixed Income Analysis (BFIN 4250, BFIN 7245)
- Security Analysis (BFIN 7219)
- Exchange-traded Funds, Hedge Funds, Mortgage-backed securities, emerging markets, and risk management
- Ph.D., Syracuse University
- M.B.A., Indiana State University
- B.A., Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, P.R.China
- "Tracking Performance of Leveraged Energy Exchange-traded Funds." The Journal of Derivatives, Volume 23, Issue 3, pp. 37-60, March 2016.
- "Do Leveraged Exchange-Traded Products Deliver Their Stated Multiples?"
Journal of Banking and Finance, Volume 43(6), 29-47, June 2014.
- "Tracking Performance of Leveraged and Regular Fixed Income ETFs."
Journal of Fixed Income, Volume 23, Issue 3, pp. 64-90, January 2014.
- "Solving the Return Deviation Conundrum of Leveraged Exchange-traded Funds."
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Volume 48, Issue 1, 309-342, February 2013.
- "The effect of monetary policy on real estate price growth in China."
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 20(1), 62–77, January 2012.
- "An Examination of Hedge Fund Survivorship Bias and Attrition Before and During the Global Financial Crisis."
The Journal of Alternative Investments, 13(4), 40- 52, March 2011.
- "The Performances of MBS Hedge Funds and Mutual Funds: A Puzzle."
Journal of Investment Management, 6(4), 59- 89, December 2008.
- Advances In International Investments: Traditional and Alternative Approaches.
World Scientific Publishing, 2008.
- "What Drives the Return on Venture Capital Funds?"
Journal of Private Equity, 12(1), 42- 55, February 2008.
- "What Drives the Return on CMBS?"
Journal of Portfolio Management, 33(5), 145- 157, September 2007.
- "Time and Dynamic Volume-Volatility Relation."
Journal of Banking and Finance, 30(5), 1535- 1558, May 2006.
- "What Moves the Mortgage-backed Securities Market?"
Real Estate Economics, 33(2), 397- 426, June 2005.
- Stillman School Research Achievement awards: 2003-2010, 2012-2013, 2017
- Stillman School Teaching Achievement award: 2006, 2009, 2017
- Beck Research Award, Stillman School of Business: 2013-2018
- Researcher of the Year in the Stillman School of Business, Seton Hall University: 2006, 2007, 2009, 2014
- Bright Idea Award in Finance, NJPRO: 2007
- Faculty Advisor, First place, Investment Research Challenge, New York Society of Security Analysts: 2006
- Summer research grants, Seton Hall University: 2003, 2004, 2006
- Research grant, Real Estate Research Institute, 2006
- Business School Summer Research Grant, Saint Louis University, 1999-2001
- Beaumont Faculty Development Fund, Saint Louis University, 1999-2000
- Doctoral Prize of School of Management, Syracuse University, 1999
- Certificate in University Teaching, Syracuse University, 1998
- Teaching Associateship, Future Professoriate Project, Syracuse University, 1996-1998
- Teaching Fellow, Syracuse University, 1997-1998