I study a wide range of problems in Italian and Italian American History, and European history in general, with particular concentrations in medieval and Renaissance intellectual history, humanism, social history and statebuilding. In recent years I have been working on projects concerning interactions between 16th century Florence and northern Europe, Renaissance historical writing, Niccolò Machiavelli's political thought, early interactions between Italy and America, and prosecutions for blasphemy in early modern Europe.
- Ph. D., University of California-Berkeley, 1989
- M.A., University of California-Berkeley, 1984
- B.A., summa cum laude, Yale University, 1980
- The Routledge History of Italian Americans, co-ed. with Stanislao Pugliese, Routledge, 2018.
- Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince with Related Documents, Bedford/St Martins, 2d rev. ed., 2016.
- Machiavelli nel Rinascimento italiano, FrancoAngeli, 2015.
- Giannozzo Manetti, Historia Pistoriensis, historical commentary, SISMEL, 2011.
- Anti-Italianism: Essays on a Prejudice, co-ed. with Fred Gardaphé, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Sacrilege and Redemption in Renaissance Florence: The Case of Antonio Rinaldeschi, co-auth. with Giles Constable, CRRS Toronto, 2d rev. ed., 2008.
- Society and Individual in Renaissance Florence, ed., University of California Press, 2002.
- La città dei crucci: fazioni e clientele in uno stato repubblicano del `400. Nuova Toscana Editrice, 2000.
- Florentine Tuscany: Structures and Practices of Power, co-ed. with Andrea Zorzi, Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Presidential Award, The Columbian Foundation
- Corresponding Fellow: Deputazione di Storia Patria per la Toscana; Societa' Pistoiese di Storia Patria
- Editorial Boards: Annali della storia di Firenze; Bibliotheca Philosophica (Aracne Editrice); Centopassi (Pensa Editore); Italian and Italian American Studies (Palgrave Macmillan); Journal of the History of Ideas; Polis; Reti medievali; Romanian Review of Political Science and International Relations; Scritti di storia (Università degli Studi di Milano); South-East European Journal of Political Science; Storia e politica
- Founding Director, Charles and Joan Alberto Italian Studies Institute
- Member, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton
- Harvard University, Villa I Tatti Fellow
- Fulbright Scholar to Italy