I have been at Seton Hall University teaching Microbiology, Senior Biology Seminar, Emerging & Infectious Diseases, Microbial Physiology, and Bioinformatics since 2008. My teaching philosophy is to integrate research into science education. My current research interests include: (1) A novel approach using natural products and its derivatives as potential therapeutic agents for diseases; (2) Study of physiological response to various stress factors on bacteria; (3) Environmental probes development for prediction, early detection and prevention of algal blooms; (4) Molecular mechanism of lytic/lysogenic Cyanophage AS-1 life cycle; and (5) Genome projects and bioinformatic analyses of cyanobacteria and cyanophage.
- Ph.D., University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2006
- B.S., Montclair State University, 2001
- Antiviral Activity of Theaflavin Digallate against Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1. Antiviral Research. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology. 2015. 118: 56-67.
- Topical Lipophilic Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate on Herpes Labialis: A Phase II Clinical Trial of AverTeaX formula. 2015. doi:10.1016/j.oooo.2015.08.018
- Molecular Identification of a Fungal Pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and Its Impact on Urbanized New Jersey. Adv. in Micro. 2014. 4(16): 1164-1173
- Method Evaluations of Escherichia coli and Coliform Detection in Northern New Jersey. GSTF Journal of BioSciences. 2014. 3(1): 40-45.
- Tea Polyphenolic Compounds on Herpes Simplex Viruses". Cancer Causing Viruses and Their Inhibitors. 2014. Ed. S.P. Gupta, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group. ISBN 9781466589773. pp. 321-344.
- The Synergistic Effects of Green Tea Polyphenols and Antibiotics against Potential Pathogens. Adv. Biosci. Biotechnol. 2013. 4(11): 959-967.
"Inhibition of Herpes simplex virus type 1 with the modified green tea polyphenol palmitoyl-epigallocatechin gallate." Food and Chemical Toxicology. In Press, November 2012.
"Detection and Identification of Bloom-Forming Phytoplankton in Selected New Jersey Freshwater Bodies." Water Quality Management. Ed. Nigel W.T. Quinn. InTech Publishing. ISBN: 978-953-307-1323-6. In Press, October 2012.
- International Perspectives on Water Quality Management and Pollutant Control. 2013. Ed. Nigel W.T. Quinn. InTech Publishing. ISBN: 978-953-51-0999-0.
"Epigallocatechin-3-gallate modulates oxidative stress in exocrine glands of a primary Sjogren’s syndrome mouse model prior to disease onset.” Autoimmunity. 2012 Nov;45(7):540-6. doi: 10.3109/08916934.2012.710860. September 2012, Epub 2012 Sep 24.
"Identification and Bioinformatic Analyses of Vanillate Operon in Cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. IU 625." Proceedings of The 2012 International Conference on Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (BIOCOMP 2012), Vol. I: 96-101, July 2012.
"Protamine-like proteins in 12 sequenced species of Drosophila." Protein Pept Lett. Jul 12. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22789106, July 2012.
"Temperature-induced activation of freshwater Cyanophage AS-1 prophage." Acta Histochem, 113(3), 294- 299, February 2010.
"Temperature-induced activation of freshwater Cyanophage AS-1 prophage." Acta Histochem. 2011 May;113(3):294-9. doi: 10.1016/j.acthis.2009.11.003, May 2011. Epub 2010 Feb 6.
"Identification of Synechococcus sp. IU 625 Phycocyanin Gene and Bioinformatic Analyses of Cyanobacterial Phycocyanin." International Conference on Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (BIOCOMP 2009) Vol. I, 376-381, July 2009.
Microbiology Laboratory Manual. Hayden-McNeil Publishing, ISBN-13: 978-0-7380-3085-2, 2008.
- 2013-2014 College Professor of the Year, College of Arts & Sciences, Seton Hall University
- University Researcher of the Year Award, Seton Hall University, 2013
- College Researcher of the Year Award, College of Arts and Sciences, Seton Hall University, 2013
- Researcher of the Year Award, Department of Biological Sciences, Seton Hall University, 2012
- University Research Council Award, Seton Hall University, 2012
- Visiting Scholar, California State University Northridge Interdisciplinary Research in Science
- National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) Spotlight of the Month, 2011
- William & Doreen Wong Foundation: Evaluation of Antimicrobial Activity of Polyphenolic Tea Compounds, 2010-2015
- University Research Council Award, Seton Hall University, 2010
- Strathmore's Who's Who, 2006
- 105th ASM Corporate Activities Program Travel Grant, 2005
- First Place Poster Presentation Award, Metropolitan Association of College and University Biologists (MACUB), 37th Annual Meeting, 2004
- First Place Poster Presentation Award, Metropolitan Association of College and University Biologists (MACUB), 36th Annual Meeting, 2003
- Margaret Herman Sokol Graduate Fellowship in Science, 2001
National Collegiate Education Award, United States Achievement Academy, 2001
- Phi Kappa Phi, 2001