Susan Nolan, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
Susan Nolan, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
I started my academic career at Seton Hall University after receiving my Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at Northwestern University and completing my clinical internship through the Vanderbilt University/Nashville Department of Veterans Affairs Internship Consortium. Since arriving at Seton Hall, I've taught a range of courses, but my favorites are Mental Health (formerly Abnormal Psychology), International Psychology, Introduction to Psychology, and Statistics. I also enjoy translating my teaching into writing, and have co-authored several textbooks for Worth Publishers/Macmillan, including textbooks for statistics and introduction to psychology.
I have been involved in international psychology throughout my career. I have developed a course in international psychology at Seton Hall, served as a United Nations representative for the American Psychological Association for five years, and conducted research on international psychology education as a U.S. Fulbright Scholar in Bosnia and Herzegovina and in Australia.
I am currently pursuing several lines of research, and welcome undergraduate and graduate student involvement. First, I am interested in perceptions of people with psychological disorders, including the stigma associated with mental illness. Second, I study the education and career trajectories of women and men pursuing professions in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. Finally, I study misinformation and scientific literacy, including in the classroom.
- Ph.D., Northwestern University, 1999
- M.S., Northwestern University, 1996
- A.B., College of the Holy Cross, 1990
- Landrum, R. E., Gurung, R. A. R., Nolan, S. A., McCarthy, M. A., & Dunn, D. S. (2022). Everyday applications of psychological science: Hacks to happiness and health. Routledge.
- Nolan, S. A., & Hockenbury, S. E. (2022). Discovering psychology (9th ed.). Macmillan Learning.
- Haynes-Mendez, K., Nolan, S. A., Littleford, L. N., & Woolf, L. M. (2022). Diversity, equity, inclusion, and internationalization: Past, present, and future of the Society for the Teaching of Psychology. [Special issue on social justice pedagogy: Diversity, equity, and inclusion in the teaching of psychology.] Teaching of Psychology.
- Cranney, J., Dunn, D. S., Hulme, J. A., Nolan, S. A., Morris, S., & Norris, K. (2022). Psychological literacy and undergraduate psychology education: An international provocation. Frontiers in Educational Psychology, 7 (Article 790600), 1-6.
- Nolan, S. A., & Heinzen, T. E. (2021). Essentials of statistics for the behavioral sciences (5th ed.). Macmillan Learning.
- Nolan, S. A., Bakker, H. E., Cranney, J., Hulme, J., & Dunn, D. S. (2020). Project Assessment: An international perspective. Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Psychology, 6(3), 185-197.
- Halonen, J. S., Nolan, S. A., Frantz, S., Hoss, R. A., McCarthy, M. A. Pusateri, T., and Wickes, K. (2020). The challenge of assessing character: Measuring APA Goal 3 student learning outcomes. Teaching of Psychology, 47(4), 285-295.
- Nolan, S. A., & Simon, A. F. (2019). The inextricable link between culture and statistics. In K. D. Keith (Ed.). Cross-Cultural Psychology: Contemporary Themes & Perspectives (2nd ed.). Wiley-Blackwell.
- Morgan-Consoli, M. L., Inman, A., Bullock, M., & Nolan, S. A. (2018). Framework for competencies for U.S.A. psychologists engaging internationally. International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation, 7, 174-188.
Honors and awards
- U.S. Fulbright Scholar, University of New South Wales, Australia, 2023
- President, Society for the Teaching of Psychology, 2021.
- Fukuhara Award for Advanced International Research and Service, International council of Psychologists, 2020.
- U.S. Fulbright Scholar, University of Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2015-2016.
- President, Eastern Psychological Association, 2014-2015
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science, elected 2014.
- Albert B. Hakim Faculty Service Medal, Seton Hall University, 2014.
- Fellow, Eastern Psychological Association, elected 2014.
- Fellow, American Psychological Association, elected 2013.
- Nolan, S. A., Cranney, J., Gullifer, J., Machin, T., & Jia, F. Association for Psychological Science (APS) Small Grant for Teaching Projects, 2023. Reorienting undergraduate psychology education to enhance global scientific literacy: International project on outcomes of undergraduate psychology.
- Kuck, V. J., Nolan, S. A., Buckner, J. P., Marzabadi, C. H. (2003-2009). GDSE/RES study of the role of gender in the training and career paths of women and men in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). (HRD-0327904) Grant from the National Science Foundation.
- Kuck, V. J., Marzabadi, C. H., Nolan, S. A., Buckner, J. P. (2003). Conference - Dissolving disparity, catalyzing change: are women achieving equity in chemistry? (CHE-0341126) from the National Science Foundation.
- Kuck, V. J., Buckner, J. A., Marzabadi, C. H., Nolan, S. A. (2002). The training and hiring of chemical scientists: A study of gender inequities. Grant from the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation.