Robert Kelchen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Higher Education
Department of Education Leadership Management and Policy
Robert Kelchen's research interests include higher education finance, accountability policies, and student financial aid. Kelchen is the author of Higher Education Accountability (Johns Hopkins University Press) and has recent articles published in Economics of Education Review, Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, and The Journal of Higher Education. Kelchen regularly teaches courses on the organization and governance of higher education, higher education finance, how to write a dissertation proposal, and institutional research and planning. He is frequently quoted in national and international media outlets and has been recognized as one of the most influential faculty members on social media by Education Week and The Chronicle of Higher Education. He recently was awarded the Robert Huff Golden Quill Award by the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators for his research and public outreach on college affordability.
- Ph.D., Educational Policy Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S., Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- B.S., Economics and Finance, Truman State University
- "Higher Education Accountability" Johns Hopkins University Press, 2018.
- "The Costs and Consequences of Excess Credit Hours" Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 2017.
- "Institutional Accountability: A Comparison of the Predictors of Student Loan Repayment and Default Rates" The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 671, 202-223, 2017.
- "The Costs of College Attendance: Examining Variation and Consistency in Institutional Living Cost Allowances" The Journal of Higher Education, 88(6),947-971, 2017.
- "The Distributional and Cost Implications of Negative Expected Family Contributions" Journal of Student Financial Aid, 47(1), 4-24, 2017.
- "Federal Mechanisms for Improving College Match: Information, Aid, and Accountability"
P. 179-198 in Matching Students to Opportunity: Expanding College Choice, Access, and Quality (Harvard Education Press), 2016.
- "An Analysis of Student Fees: The Roles of States and Institutions"
The Review of Higher Education, 39 (4), 597-619, 2016.
- "Income Inequality in Higher Education: Experimental Evidence on the Impact of Financial Aid on College Completion"
American Journal of Sociology, 121(6), 1762-1817, 2016.
- "Do the Effects of Early Childhood Education Programs Vary by Gender?"
Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 36, 521-536, 2016.
- "Who Enrolls in Competency-Based Education? An Examination of the Demographics and Finances of CBE Programs
The Journal of Competency-Based Education, 1(1), 48-59, 2016.
- "Does Performance-Based Funding Affect Colleges' Financial Priorities?"
Journal of Education Finance, 41(3), 302-321, 2016.
- "Student Loans: A Brief History, the Current Landscape, and Impacts on Society"
P. 173-198 in Higher Education and Society (Peter Lang), 2016.