In a nursing career that spans three decades, Dr. Wall has held jobs in both clinical practice and education. Her clinical positions have been in academic medical centers, inner city public hospitals, and community teaching hospitals. These experiences inform both her teaching and her scholarship.
Dr. Wall's clinical expertise is in adult health nursing, and her research interest is chronic respiratory disease. Her interest in the measurement of clinical phenomena has led to her involvement in research studies among individuals with diabetes and heart failure. She has taught in baccalaureate, Master's, and Ph.D. programs, and has participated in curriculum development and revision in B.S.N. and Ph.D. programs. As a second degree nurse, she has a keen understanding of the importance of the liberal arts foundation in professional education.
- Ph.D. University of Maryland
- M.S.N. Case Western Reserve University
- M.S. Pace University
- B.A. Carleton College
- El-Mallakh, P., Chlebowy, D.O., Wall, M.P., Myers, J.A., Cloud, R.N. (2012). Promoting nurse interventionist fidelity to motivational interviewing in a diabetes self-care intervention. Research in Nursing & Health, 35, 289-300.
- Romp, C.R., Kiehl, E.M., Bickett, A., Bledsoe, S.F., Brown, D.S., Eitel, S.B., & Wall, M.P. (2014). Motivators and barriers to returning to school: RN to BSN. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 30(2), 83-86.
- Chlebowy, D.O., El-Mallakh, Myers, J., Kubiak, N., Cloud, R., & Wall, M.P. (2015). Motivational interviewing to improve diabetes outcomes in African Americans with diabetes. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 37, 566-588. doi: 10.1177/0193945914530522 (Advance online publication, May 2014)
- Wall, M.P. (July 22, 2013). Predictors of Depression in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Presented at the 24th International Nursing Research Congress, sponsored by Sigma Theta Tau International, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Wall, M.P. (March 28, 2014). Anxiety, Depression, and Functional Performance in People with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Presented at the 27th Annual Reinkemeyer Research Day. Sponsored by Gamma Nu Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International, South Orange, NJ.
- Wall, M.P. (July 23, 2016). Associations Between Mastery, Social Support, and Daily Activities in Clients with COPD. Presented at the 27th International Nursing Research Congress. Sponsored by Sigma Theta Tau International, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Chlebowy, D., El-Mallakh, P., Myers, J., Kubiak, N., Cloud, R., & Wall, M.P. (September 20, 2012). Motivational Interviewing to Improve Diabetes Outcomes in African Americans with Type 2 Diabetes. Presented at Research!Louisville, Louisville, KY.
- Chung, S-C., Romp, C., Bickett, A., Eitel, S., Lazar, R., Nichols, E., … Wall, M.P. (September 26, 2013). Patient Perception of Important Nurse Caring Behaviors. Presented at Research!Louisville, Louisville, KY.
- Wall, M.P. & Gardner, M.R. (November 22, 2013). Supporting Transition to Professional Practice with a Nursing Research Course. Presented at the Baccalaureate Education Conference, sponsored by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. New Orleans, LA.
- Wall, M.P. & Egan, J. (November 16, 2017). Application of the Donabedian Model to Medication Calculation Competency Examination. Presented at the Baccalaureate Education Conference, sponsored by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Atlanta, GA
- Member of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Gamma Nu and Pi Chapters.
- Charter Member of Respiratory Nursing Society.
- Member of the Nursing Assembly of the American Thoracic Society.