Maryanne Barra, D.N.P., F.N.P.-B.C., R.N. Associate Professor for the Undergraduate and Graduate Departments at the College of Nursing is a board certified Family Nurse Practitioner (F.N.P.) through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (A.N.C.C.), a subsidiary of the American Nurses Association (A.N.A.). Dr. Barra continues to combine Family Nurse Practitioner and Faculty positions.
As a Family Nurse Practitioner, Dr. Barra has worked in the Battered Women's Shelter, College Health, Hospice, and Assisted Living. Having a broad range clinical and teaching background in Med-Surg, Maternal/Child, Community, Acute, Chronic, Critical, and Long Term Care, Dr. Barra has been an educator in every nursing program. Her teaching experience spans from undergraduate to graduate students in all divisions, that being L.P.N., L.P.N. to R.N., Associate R.N., Generic/Accelerated/Second Degree B.S.N., R.N. to B.S.N., and graduate Clinical Nurse Leader and Nurse Practitioner programs.
- D.N.P. Fairleigh Dickinson University
- B.S.N.,M.S.N., F.N.P. Molloy College
- RN Diploma, Jewish Hospital & Medical Center of Brooklyn School of Nursing
- Barra, M & Singh Hernandez, S. (2018). "No room at the inn: Use of maternal-child simulation when hospital clinical is restricted." Nursing Forum. 2018; 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12293
- Barra, M & Singh Hernandez, S. (2018). "Too big to be seen: Weight‐based discrimination among nursing students." Nursing Forum. 2018;1–6. https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12282
- "Multisite Collaboration of Quantification of Blood Loss Positively Change Attitudes Towards Individualized Practice With Self-Awareness Using Simulation." Poster presented at: Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) Annual Convention; 2015 June 13-17; Long Beach, Calif
- "Effect of medical mathematics in retention strategies in decreasing attrition rate among African American LPN students". Journal of Cultural Diversity: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 20(4), November 2013
- "One less bell to answer: improving clinical outcomes in an assisted living facility with bedside shift reports." University of the Philippines Nursing Alumni Association International, (8)1, 19-26, October 2012
- "Nurse delegation of medication pass in assisted living facilities: not all medication assistant technicians are equal". Journal of Nursing Law, 14(1), 3-10(8), Springer Publishing Company, March 2011
- Manuscript reviewer for Clinical & Research Papers: Journal of Clinical Nursing, Nursing Forum, Geriatric Nursing, International Journal of Palliative Nursing
- Teacher of the Year Award, Seton Hall University College of Nursing, 2017.
- Philippines Cultural Immersion Experience, SHU College of Nursing, 2017.
- Interprofessional SimWARS Competition and Symposium Annual Convention, 2016:
- Expert Judge for Clinical Care.
- Trailblazer Award - Promoting simulation-based practice, education, and research on standardization of simulation into the healthcare curriculum.
- Keynote Speaker "LPN of today is the RN of tomorrow."
Leadership Award, Obstetrical Crisis for Nursing Students, 2015
- Executive Board Member, Comprehensive Behavioral Healthcare, Inc., Bergen County, NJ. Department of Mental Health Services and Division of Addiction Services.
- Executive Board of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Epsilon Kappa Chapter, Molloy College, NY, and Gamma Nu Chapter, Seton Hall University.