Joseph Stetar, Ph.D.
Department of Education Leadership Management and Policy
Research interests are in the areas of: international / comparative education policy, privatization, history of higher education and higher education organization governance.
Courses taught include: Comparative / International Higher Education, Education Policy, History of Higher Education, Organization Governance and Dissertation Seminar.
- Educationis Doctorate (honoris causa) University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
- Ph.D., State University of New York at Buffalo
- B.A., St. Bonaventure University
- State Power in Legitimating and Regulating Private Higher Education: Case Study of Ukraine (Book Chapter)
In S. Slantcheva and D. Levy (Eds.) Search of Legitimacy: Private Higher Education in Central and Eastern Europe, New York: Palgrave Macmillan Press, 239- 257, April 2007
- In Search of Direction: Southern Higher Education after the Civil War (Book Chapter), In Lester H. Goodchild, Harold Weschler & L. Eisenmann (Eds.) The History of Higher Education, (3rd Edition), Boston: Pearson, 291- 309, April 2007
- Ukrainian Private Higher Education (Emergence of) (Book Chapter), In P.J. Wells, J. Sadlak, & L. Vlasceanu (Eds.) The Rising Role and Relevance of Private Higher Education in Europe, Bucharest: UNESCO Centre Européen pour l'Ensignement Supeérieur (CEPES) / European Centre for Higher Education, 519- 584, April 2007
- Reconsidering quality assurance in higher education, Bloemfontein, South Africa: University of the Free State Press, 444, 1999
- Research Associate and Professor Honorarius, University of the Free State, South Africa
- Embassy Policy Specialist, United States Department of State, United States Embassy, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (2006)
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (co-authored with Prof. Benito Khotseng and A. H. Strydom, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa.) For: Grow your own timber: Preparing African Faculty for university posts in South Africa. US$ 900,000 over 6 years, (2001).
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (co-authored with Profs. A. Dippenar, D. Van der Wald and C. Ovens, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa).: For: Free State Libraries Project. US$1.2 million over 6 years, 1998