I have been at Seton Hall since 1972, chairing the Department of Psychology from 1984-2008. Being trained in experimental psychology, my professional career has been dedicated to establishing an appropriate environment to offer a curriculum grounded in empirical research.
Since 1997 the Department has been located on the third floor of Jubilee Hall where it possesses outstanding human and infrahuman laboratory facilities. These facilities enabled the Department of Psychology to introduce a strong mentoring-based M.S. program in Experimental Psychology with concentrations in Psychological Science or Behavioral Neuroscience.
As an undergraduate at Hunter College, I was drawn to psychology by the potential to merge science with practice in order to address significant individual and societal problems. My teaching areas of specialization include learning and behavior modification. These interests permeate my textbook, Adaptive Learning and the Human Condition, published by Pearson in 2013.
- Ph.D., Adelphi University, 1972
- B.A., Hunter College C.U.N.Y., 1967
- Adaptive Learning and the Human Condition, Pearson, 2013
- "A curriculum matrix for Psychology program review," Teaching of Psychology, 26(4), 291- 294, August 1999
- "The effects of sequential ordering training on middle-size transposition in preschool children", Child Development, 46(2), 416- 423, June 1975
Awards and Grants
- Sears-Roebuck Foundation Award for College Teaching and Campus Leadership, 1990-1991
- Outstanding Teacher Award, College of Arts and Sciences, 1977
- Project Director for N.J. Department of Higher Education Grant, Integrating Microcomputers into the Core Psychology Curriculum, 1986.
- Grant from American Heart Association to write operations manual, Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in Industry, 1984.
- Project Director for National Science Foundation Instructional Scientific Equipment Grant, Seton Hall University, 1975.
- National Institute of Health Research Fellow, Behavioral Aspects of Coronary Heart Disease Prevention, UMDNJ, 1981-1982.
- Chair, Department of Psychology, 1984-2008
- Member, Council of Chairs, 1999-2008
- Member, Outcomes Assessment Team, 1991-2006