I have been at Seton Hall in the Department of Religious Studies since 1989, teaching World Religions, Religious Dimension of Life, Islamic Studies, Women Gender and Islam, Women in Religion, Inter-religious Dialogue, and Death and Dying. I am also Associate Director of the Honors Program and teach in the Honors Colloquium on the Middle Ages and the Honors Senior Seminar. My bicultural family (Puerto Rican mother/Southwestern U.S. dad) and my growing up in the Sixties, influenced my passion for cross-cultural studies in religion, spirituality, and social justice movements.
My research and topics of publications include the Islamic intellectual and mystical traditions (past and current), Islam in America, Muslim Women's rights, scholarship, activism, Women in World Religions, Inter-religious Dialogue, and Death and Dying. My research travels to the Middle East, Indonesia, and Turkey have shared the common theme of understanding contemporary Islam and Inter-religious peace and justice work.
- Ph.D., Temple University, 1989
- M.A., Temple University, 1986
- B.A., Temple University, 1980
- Themes of Wisdom in Dialogue: Pedagogical Possibilities in Medieval Metaphysics for Undergraduate Liberal Arts Studies (Book Chapter)
In Mohammad Faghfoory (Ed.), Beacon of Knowledge: Essays in Honor of Seyyed Hossein Nasr, FonsVitae Press, Louisville, Kentucky, January 2003
- "Intimations of the Great Unlearning: Interreligious Spirituality and the Demise of Consciousness Which is Alzheimer's"
CrossCurrents, October 2001
- Windows of Faith: Muslim Women's Scholar-Activists in North America
Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 2000
- Tradition and Innovation in Contemporary American Islamic Spirituality: The BawaMuhaiyaddeen Fellowship (Book Chapter)
In Yvonne Haddad and Jane Smith (Eds.), Muslim Communities in North America, Albany: State University of New York Press, August 1994
- Islam and Muslims in America (Book Chapter)
In Hussin Mutalib and Taj-Hashimi (Eds.), Islam, Muslims, and the Modern State, Palgrave Macmillan, April 1994
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Award for Teaching at Gadjah Mada University, Indonesia, Summer 2009
- Fulbright Award for Teaching and Research, Gadja Mada University, Indonesia, Jan.-July 2005
- National Endowment for the Humanities Grants Selection Committee Appointee (1994-95)
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Research Fellowship (1991)
- Board of Directors, American Council for the Study of Islamic Societies
- Phi Beta Kappa (Temple University, Philadelphia) 1980