I have been a member of the Seton Hall University community since 1996, and currently am the Chair of the Department of Physical Therapy with a rank as Associate Professor. I also hold a clinical faculty position in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at New Jersey Medical School of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at St. Joseph's Medical Center in Paterson, NJ.
My areas of teaching include courses relating to kinesiology, therapeutic exercise and research methods. I lecture extensively on topics concerning rheumatic disease and orthopedic dysfunction. Through my experiences in curriculum development, technology and instruction, I serve as an on-site team member for the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education.
My research is in the area of musculoskeletal dysfunction and joint disease across the life span, biomechanical issues of gait and posture, and chronic disease and public health outcomes. Current projects include investigations regarding the influences of carrying backpacks on walking function. Previous studies have included evaluating walking patterns in adolescents with juvenile arthritis and evaluating improvements in pain, stiffness and function in adults with knee osteoarthritis. Some of this research has been supported by research grants from two leading pharmaceutical companies and research sub-grants from the Arthritis Foundation, New Jersey Chapter and National Office.
- PhD, Seton Hall University
- MS, Long Island University
- BS, Boston University
- National Volunteer Service Citation, Arthritis Foundation, National Office, 1989
- Archbishop McCarrick Outstanding Educator Award, Seton Hall University, School of Graduate Medical Education, June 1999
- 1999 Volunteer Leadership Award: Volunteer Program, Arthritis Foundation, National Office, November 2000
- Community Service Award, American Physical Therapy Association of New Jersey, April 2002
- Many Are One Alumni Service Award, School of Graduate Medical Education and Alumni Relations, University Advancement, Seton Hall University, April 2005
- The Robert Salant Research Award, APTA of New York State for Stiskal DM, Borawski J, Schuck J, Tholany J, Torcivia P, Walter V, Yeon H (2010). Influences of a loaded backpack on knee movement during gait.
- Best Health Sciences Research Award, SHMS Research Colloquium for Stiskal DM, Kurian C, Negron K, Acosta C, Aguiar A, Head M, Paonessa D. Influences of a loaded backpack on hip motions during gait (2011).
- "Safety, efficacy and duration of Hyalgan® and exercise therapy treatment for pain of osteoarthritis of the knee". Principal Investigator: Stitik, Todd, UNDMJ-NJMS. Role: Collaborator (sub-investigator). Agency: Sanofi Pharmaceuticals. 2 Years: grant awarded: 12/00.
- "The Effect of Celecoxib on Gait and Functional Performance in Knee Osteoarthritis Patients" Principal Investigators: Stitik, Todd, UNDMJ-NJMS and Stiskal, Doreen, Seton Hall University. Role: Co-Principal investigator for bi-institutional study. Agency: Pfizer Pharmaceuticals. 1 year grant: awarded: 6/04.