Charles Mitchel, Ed.D.
Associate Professor; Executive Director, The Academy for Urban School Transformation and The Institute for International Schools
Department of Education Leadership Management and Policy
Over 40 years ago Dr. Charles Mitchel embarked on the life-long journey of educator, serving as principal, superintendent, and Assistant Commissioner of Education in the state of New Jersey. During his tenure in Newark, one of America's most challenging (and as he says, most promising) cities, Dr. Mitchel received local, state, and national recognition for his outstanding leadership as principal of the Franklin School where 90% of the 1240 students were classified free or reduced lunch. The New York Times rated Franklin School as one of the 10 best urban schools in the country. In a national documentary, CBS called Franklin "a School of Hope," and CNN featured Dr. Mitchel in its news broadcast. Internationally, Dr. Mitchel has trained teachers and leaders throughout South America, Macedonia, Albania, and the Ukraine. He has brought his highly demanded teachings on the spirituality of leadership and effective schools to India, Iceland, and Western Europe. While at Seton Hall, Dr. Mitchel has served as the Chair of the Department of Education, Leadership, Management and Policy and Associate Dean for Urban and International Initiatives. He established the Center for Urban Leadership, Renewal and Research to serve and develop leadership capacity in New Jersey's urban schools within the context of ethical principles and spirituality. Dr. Mitchel teaches graduate courses on organizational behavior, on leadership, management and assessment, and on the spirituality of leadership. He is also the founder and executive director of the Academy for Urban School Transformation, providing on-the-job instructional and leadership coaching for teachers and administrators in low-performing schools, and the Institute for International Schools, providing professional development for educators in American schools abroad.
Bleed Blue Acknowledgments:
- 1996: Distinguished Alumnus Award, Seton Hall University, College of Education and Human Services
- 1993: Seton Hall University's John "Honey" Russell Award for dedication to men's basketball
- 1991: Seton Hall Athletic Hall of Fame
- Ed.D., Fairleigh Dickinson University
- M.A., Seton Hall University
- B.A., Seton Hall University
- "Staying Strong for Urban Kids: What Real Reform Is About", Keynote and Panelist for the Urban Education Committee Brunch at the NJEA Annual Convention, November 2013
- "Listening to Our Higher Coach: A Call to Go Deeper", The Lens E-Newsletter/Journal, Issue 22, Center for Empowered Leadership, August 2013
- "Recharging Your Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Battery", Association of American Schools in South America Educators' Conference, Buenos Aires, March 2013
- "No Worse Off? Child Poverty and Punitive Policy Challenge Educators", National FORUM of Teacher Education Journal, Vol. 12(1), 16-26, 2001-02, January 2008
- Stormy Weather: Replacing the Exodus of Principals from Urban Schools, National Council of Professors of Education Administration, 2006