Dr. Brian B. Shulman is Dean of the School of Health and Medical Sciences (SHMS) at Seton Hall University in South Orange, NJ. Dr. Shulman received his Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Arts degrees, both in Speech-Language Pathology, from Bowling Green State University (OH). His Bachelor of Arts degree in Speech-Language Pathology is from the State University of New York College at Cortland. Dr. Shulman holds the rank of Professor in the Department of Speech-Language Pathology at Seton Hall University. He is a Board Certified Specialist in Child Language (BCS-CL) as conferred by the American Board of Child Language and Language Disorders (ABCLLD).
A Fellow of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) and the Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions (ASAHP), Dr. Shulman has made numerous invited presentations to professional groups at international, national, state, and local levels.
Dr. Shulman has served in a number of leadership positions within ASHA including, but not limited to, Chair of ASHA's Board of Division Coordinators (BDC), a member of ASHA's Council for Clinical Specialty Recognition and co-chair of two annual ASHA Conventions in 2001 and 2005 and the International Issues Board (IIB) on which he assumed the role of Chair effective January 1, 2016.
Dr. Shulman served a three-year term from 2006-2008 as ASHA's nationally elected Vice President for Speech-Language Pathology Practice. In that role, he identified national issues, monitored the emergence of new areas of practice, addressed concerns of the work setting, and monitored and facilitated ASHA-related activities designed to promote all practice settings.
Dr. Shulman and SHMS faculty colleague, Dr. Nina Capone from the Department of Speech-Language Pathology, recently published the second edition of their popular textbook entitled Language Development: Foundations, Processes, and Clinical Applications published by Jones and Bartlett Learning.
Dr. Shulman recently completed a second, three-year term as the inaugural Dean Commissioner on the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). The ARC-PA is the accrediting agency that protects the interests of the public and the Physician Assistant (PA) profession by defining the standards for PA education and evaluating PA educational programs within the territorial United States to ensure their compliance with those standards. The ARC-PA is an independent accrediting body authorized to accredit qualified PA educational programs leading to the professional credential, Physician Assistant.
Dr. Shulman is the recipient of the 2010 Professional Service Award from the New Jersey Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NJSHA) and is a current member of the Executive Board of the International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics (IALP).
- Ph.D., Bowling Green State University (Speech-Language Pathology)
- M.A., Bowling Green State University (Speech-Language Pathology) 1979
- B.A., State University College at Cortland (Speech Pathology Audiology)
- Capone Singleton, N.C., & Shulman, B.B. (2015). "Language acquisition: Preverbal and early language." In G.L. Lof & A.F. Johnson (1st Ed.) Speech-Language Pathology: Review and Study Guide. Evanston, IL: TherapyEd.
- Capone-Singleton, N., & Shulman, B.B.(2014, Second Edition). "Language development: Foundations, processes, and clinical applications." Boston, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
- Neubauer, N.P., Dayalu, V.N., Shulman, B.B., & Zipp, G.P. (2014). "Interprofessional Education at Seton Hall University. Perspectives in Higher Education (Special Interest Group 16):" American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 17(2):56 doi:10.1044/aihe17.2.56.
- May 2010 Distinguished Professional Service Award, New Jersey Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- 2008-2013 / 2002-2008 Specialty Recognition in Child Language, Specialty Board on Child Language
Academic Administration Academic Appointments
- May 2007-present Dean, School of Health and Medical Sciences (formerly, School of Graduate Medical Education) Seton Hall University