Kangzhen (Ken) Xie is an associate professor of finance at Seton Hall University. Before joining the faculty in 2016, he taught at the University of Arkansas and Texas A&M University. He is a member of the Financial Management Association and the American Finance Association. His research interests include conglomerates, mergers and acquisitions, executive compensation, risk management, derivatives, and financial accounting. His research has received several Best Paper Awards in corporate finance. Outside of academia, he was a foreign exchange trader at Shanghai Pudong Development Bank and managed foreign exchange risk for the bank and clients with derivatives.
- Ph.D., Washington University in St. Louis
- M.A., University of Alabama
- M.A., Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
- B.E., Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- Financial Modeling (BFIN 4255/7255)
- Financial Strategy (BFIN3211)
- Money and Banking (ECON 2408)
- Corporate Risk Management (BFIN 4262)
- "Pay Me Now (and Later): Pension Benefit Manipulation before Plan Freezes and Executive Retirement", 2018, with Irina Stefanescu, Yupeng Wang and Jun Yang. Journal of Financial Economics, 127 (1),152-173.
- "Conglomerates and Industry Distress", 2011, with Radhakrishnan Gopalan, Review of Financial Studies, 24(11), 3642-3687.
- "But What Will it Do for My EPS? An Unflattering But Powerful Motive for Mergers?", 2019, joint with Thomas Bates, Gerald T. Garvey, James Linck and Todd Milbourn, revising for third round at the Journal of Financial Economics.
- “Real Estate as a New Equity Market Sector: Market Responses and Return Comovement”, 2020, joint with Hongfei Tang and Eleanor X. Xu, Published at Real Estate Economics.
- “Signaling under Threats: Evidence of Voluntary Disclosure in Corporate Control Contests”,2020, with Gerald J. Lobo and Jinqiu Yan, Published at the Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance.
- "Is all that glitters gold? A look at Fortune magazine's 100 Fastest-Growing Companies", 2019, with Anthony Thomas Garcia and Anthony Loviscek, Managerial Finance,45(7), pp.827-841
- "On the Market Timing of Hedging: Evidence from U.S. Oil and Gas Producers", 2020, with Liu Hong, Yongjia Li and Claire J. Yan. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 54, 297–334.
- “In Search of Market Outperformance: Another Look at Berkshire Hathaway”, joint with Anthony Loviscek, 2021, Forthcoming at the Journal of Wealth Management.
- Beck Researcher Award, Stillman School of Business, Seton Hall University, 2019-2021
- Researcher of the Year in the Stillman School of Business, Seton Hall University, 2019
- University Research Council Research Award from Seton Hall University, 2020
- Stillman School Research Achievement awards, 2018-2020
- Stillman School Teaching Achievement awards, 2019, 2020
- Best Paper Award at Financial Institutions, Regulation and Corporate Governance Conference,2016.
- Best Paper Award in Corporate Finance from the EFMA, 2016.
- Best Paper in Corporate Finance, Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, 2008
- Doctoral Student Consortium Participant, FMA Annual Meeting, 2009