I am an Emergency Medical Physician and joined the Physician Assistant Program as the Medical Director in March 2016. I assist Professor Christopher Hanifin, the program director, by overseeing the functioning of the program. I serve as medical liaison between the school and medical institutions.
I began my career in the medical field as a nursing assistant and worked during nursing school, graduating from Fairleigh Dickinson University in 1993. I joined Hackensack University Medical Center and worked on various wards including med/surg and intensive care units. After five years of nursing, I went back to school to pursue a medical degree and graduated from New Jersey Medical School, Rutgers University, in 2002. I trained in Emergency Medicine in St Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital in New York City and graduated in 2005.
I currently am practicing medicine in the Emergency Department at Hackensack University Medical Center and have been an attending physician there since 2005. In addition to treating patients, I am actively involved in medical student education in our institution and work closely with physician assistants. The Emergency Department is a busy place and requires a broad medical knowledge base, organization, and a willingness to work through difficult situations. I share my experience with those that I teach to make the learning interesting and relevant.
I am thrilled to have joined the Seton Hall Physician Assistant Program. The faculty are inviting and are dedicated to teaching students. We come from various training programs and different clinical backgrounds to give our students a well-rounded educational experience.
- Board Certification: Emergency Medicine, St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY
- Medical Doctor: New Jersey Medical School, Rutgers University
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing: Fairleigh Dickinson University
- 2015 Annual Patient Satisfaction Award: Hackensack UMC Emergency Medicine Residency Program
- The "Christine Fernandez M.D. Scholarship" was created by Hackensack UMC to recognize Dr. Fernandez's excellence in teaching (presented to Emergency Medicine residents in 2015 and 2011)