Beth Jameson, Ph.D.
College of Nursing
Interprofessional Health Sciences Campus
Beth Jameson, Ph.D.
College of Nursing
Dr. Beth E. Jameson is a nurse scientist and assistant professor at Seton Hall University. She is a Certified Nurse Leader (CNL), New Jersey certified school nurse, and a certified instructor for Youth Mental Health First Aid. She has a distinctive educational focus on nursing research, epidemiology, and community/population health. Her major objective is to bring understanding and advocacy to the role of the school nurse; a role which frequently goes unnoticed as an integral contributor to the health and wellness of our nation's children. Dr. Jameson is active in regional and national professional nursing organizations, including NASN where she is a national presenter on National Association of School Nurses (NASN) Focus on the Framework™: Quality Improvement.
Current research projects include investigating school health services gaps in care, school nurse workload, and understanding school nurse staffing relationships to student health and education outcomes. In 2021 Seton Hall University, College of Nursing named Dr. Jameson Researcher of the Year for her research on school health nursing and school health services. She is a founding member and advisor of the Center for School Health Innovation and Quality. Most recently, Dr. Jameson was inducted into the National Academy of School Nursing Fellows at the annual NASN Conference in June 2022.
- Ph.D., Nursing Science, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- M.S.N., School Health Nursing, Monmouth University
- B.S.N., University of Rochester
- Moses-Taylor Foundation. Northeast Pennsylvania School Nurse Workforce Needs Assessment. Funded 3/2022 – Present.
- National Association of School Nurses, National School Nursing Workforce Study 2.0. Funded 2021 – Present.
- National Association of School Nurses. Mental health screenings practices and patterns in U.S. Schools. Funded 5/2020 – 6/2021.
- Moses-Taylor Foundation. Northeast Pennsylvania School Health Needs Assessment. Moses Taylor Foundation, Scranton, PA. Funded 7/2019 – 3/2020.
- National Association of School Nurses, Research Endowment Grant. A Cross-sectional Study on the Policies on Employment of School Nurses and Provision of School Health Services for Children with Chronic Health Conditions. Funded 5/2020- 6/2021.
- National Association of School Nurses, Research Endowment Grant, Primary Investigator. Developing a Workload Instrument for School Nursing. Funded 7/2017 - 6/2019.
- 2022 Fellow, National Academy of School Nurses, National Association of School Nurses
- 2021 Researcher of the Year, Seton Hall University, College of Nursing
- 2019 Lester Z. Lieberman Humanism in Healthcare Award, The Healthcare Foundation of New Jersey.
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Lambda Delta Chapter
- 2015-2017 Teaching Fellowship, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, College of Nursing
- Jameson, B. E., Anderson, L. S., & Endsley, P. (2022). Identification of workload measurement indicators for school nursing practice. The Journal of School Nursing, 38(3), 287-298. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059840520946833
- McCabe, E. M., Jameson, B. E. & Strauss, S. M. (2022). School health services for children with chronic health conditions in California public secondary schools: Findings from the 2018 School Health Profiles Survey. Journal of the American Nurses Association of New York.
- McCabe, E. M., Jameson, B. E. & Strauss, S. M. (2021). Mental health screenings: Practices and patterns of these and other health screenings in U.S. school districts. The Journal of School Nursing. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/10598405211056647
- McCabe, E., Jameson, B. E., & Strauss, S. (2021) A nationwide cross-sectional study to examine the association between district-level school nurse staffing characteristics and school districts’ provision of health services for children with chronic illness [Abstract]. Nursing Research, 69(3), E110-E-110.
- Willgerodt, M. A., Maughan, E., Jameson, B. E., & Johnson, K. H. (2021). Actions speak louder than words: Social justice is integral to school nursing practice. The Journal of School Nursing, 37(4), 226–227. https://doi.org/10.1177/10598405211019228
- Wilt, L., & Jameson, B. E. (2021). School nursing evidence- based clinical practice guideline: Students with Type 1 diabetes. National Association of School Nurses. https://www.pathlms.com/nasn/courses/37660
- Jameson, B. E., Anderson, L. S., & Endsley, P. (2020). Identification of workload measurement indicators for school nursing practice [Advance online publication]. The Journal of School Nursing, 1-12.
- Jameson, B. E., & Bowen, F. (2020). Use of the worklife and levels of burnout surveys to assess the school nurse work environment. The Journal of School Nursing, 36(4), 272-282.
- Innella, N., & Jameson, B. E. (2020). Interventions that impact weight status in Hispanic preschool children. Public Health Nursing, 37(1), 25-38.
- Maughan, E. D., & Jameson, B. E. (2020). Celebrating 21st-Century school nursing practice. NASN School Nurse, 35(3), 133-135.
- Jameson, B. E., Engelke, M. E., Anderson, L. S., Endsley, P., & Maughan, E. D. (2018). Factors related to school nurse workload. The Journal of School Nursing, 34(3), 211-221. doi:10.1177/1059840517718063
- Jameson, B. E., & Bowen, F. (2016). School nurse work environment: Burnout and areas of worklife job satisfaction [Abstract]. Nursing Research, 65(2), E31.
- McCabe, E., & Jameson, B. E. (2022). Ethical challenges for school nurses during COVID-19. In C. Grady, & Ulrich, C. (Eds.) Nursing during a pandemic: Ethical perspectives. Springer. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-82113-5_8
- Maughan, E. D., Jameson, B. E. (2020). School Health Population Based Needs Assessment Final Report. National Association of School Nurses.
- New Jersey Collaborating Center for Nursing. (2018). Framework for 21st Century School Nursing Practice (TM) toolkit for New Jersey school nurses: Ideas for implementation. Retrieved from: http://njccn.org/toolkit/FINAL%20TOOLKIT%2021st%20Century%20School%20Nurse%20Leadership%20Book.pdf
Media Appearances and Interviews:
- Jameson, B. E. (2022, May 21). Identification of Workload Measurement Indicators for School Nursing Practice. The Journal of School Nursing [Podcast].
- Jameson, B. E. (2021, September 22). School nurses in a pandemic. Doctor Radio/NYU Langone Medical Center, Pediatrics with Dr. Arun Chopra. [Sirius XM Radio].
- Jameson, B. E. (2021, June 28). School nurses do a lot more than you may realize. Top of the Mind With Julie Rose, BYU Radio, [Sirius XM 143].