Our approach to Student Wellbeing includes multiple approaches to reduce stress
- Utilization of small-group and team-based teaching methods –
- faculty better know the students
- identify struggling or distressed individuals
- timely referral services.
- Use of a pass-fail grading system
- Limitations on classroom and required activity hours
- Regular required contact with academic advisors
- A curriculum designed to support medical students in the transitions and challenges inherent to medical training.
- A student-led wellness committee, which will identify stressors and develop activities to promote and maintain health and wellbeing.
- Holistic inter-professional education program teaching students good self and patient care (mindful meditation, nutrition and cooking classes, yoga, etc.).
Wellness Workshops: Workshops will be routinely offered to all SOM students at the Health Campus by existing content experts from the SHU and Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) Network systems in areas such as, mindfulness meditation, nutrition, yoga and other approaches to stress management and promoting wellbeing.
Wellbeing and resiliency programs:
- Compassion Series including intro to Schwartz Rounding
- Conflict Management Skills
- Depression Awareness and Assessment Events
- Giving Bad News
- Gold Humanism Chapter
- Student-driven interest groups
- Inter-professional Movie Series
- Inter-professional sports leagues
- Interval Training Events (other trends in fitness)
- Mindfulness Meditation
- Leadership Training Skills
- Mindfulness Practice Group
- Nutrition Series
- Sleep Hygiene 101
- Spirituality Programs
- Stress Management Strategies
- Substance Abuse Awareness and Prevention Series
- Time Management Skills
- Topics in Complimentary Medicine
- Yoga Series
A student-led wellness committee, which will identify stressors and develop plans and activities to promote and maintain health and wellbeing.