This section contains a selection of Bernard Lonergan's works, other general works on Lonergan and on GEM, as well as biographies. It is to be noted that shortly after his publication of Insight in 1957 Lonergan referred to his focus as "transcendental method." Later on, he began to refer to it as "generalized empirical method." (See Andrew Beards, "Generalized Empirical Method," The Lonergan Review, Vol. III, 33 - 87).
Websites, Forums and Blogs | Institutes and Centers | Biographies | Courses | Published Journals | General Articles on Lonergan | General Books Related to Lonergan | Bibliographies | Select Interdisciplinary Bibliography - Home
- A list of Bernard Lonergan's works and a short introduction to his thought
- Also, the University of Toronto Press' website on the Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan
- The Lonergan Research Institute at Regis College is the sponsor of the Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan
- The Wikipedia entry on Bernard Lonergan gives an overview of his life and works.
- The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy article on Lonergan by Tad Dunne gives a fuller account of his life and thought.
Additional websites, forums and blogs about Bernard Lonergan and his works include:
- The Lonergan Forum at Marquette University
- The Lonergan Institute Blog, Washington, D.C.
- The Lonergan Institute Forum, Washington, D.C.
- Writings of Tad Dunne
The website of Philip McShane, who emphasizes the implementation of Lonergan's vision can be found at http://www.philipmcshane.org that lists his books and online essays as well as unpublished works by Lonergan.
The Thomas More Institute, Montreal, for resources related to Lonergan and Adult Education can be found at http://thomasmore.qc.ca/tmi-research/publications/
In North America
In the United States
- Arlington, Virginia: Insight Conflict Resolution Program, S-Car, George Mason University.
- Boston, Massachusetts: Lonergan Institute at Boston College.
- Boston, Massachusetts: Lonergan Workshop, Boston College.
- Los Angeles, California: Los Angeles Lonergan Centre.
- Lonergan Philosophical Society, The Los Angeles Lonergan Center.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Marquette University Lonergan Project.
- University Heights, Ohio: Lonergan Interest Group, Catholic Theological Society of America.
- Washington, D. C.: Lonergan Institute for the "Good Under Construction."
- Washington, D. C.: Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown University.
- Sargent Shriver Peace Institute.
- Halifax, Nova Scotia: The Society for the Globalization of Effective Methods of Evolving.
- Montreal, Quebec: Bernard Lonergan en francais.
- Montreal, Quebec: Lonergan Centre for Ethical Reflection, Concordia University.
- Montreal, Quebec: Thomas More Institute.
- Ottawa, Ontario: Lonergan Centre at Saint Paul University.
- Toronto, Ontario: Jesuits in English Canada.
- Toronto, Ontario: Lonergan Research Institute at Regis College.
In Latin and South America
- Bogota, D. C., Colombia: Groupo de Investigacion Cosmopolis, Universidad Javeriana.
- Chile: Bernard Lonergan ... vida, obra, reception.
- Mexico City, Mexico: Lonergan en Latinoamerica, Universidad Iberoamericana.
- Rome, Italy: Gregorian University.
- Lonergan Archive, Gregorian University
- Torino, Italy: Bernard Lonergan, Centro di informazioni e studi.
- Italy: Epistemology Group, Pontifical Faculty of Theology of Southern Italy, Section Saint Louis
- Birmingham, United Kingdom: Maryvale Institute.
- Copenhagen, Denmark: Copenhagen Business School.
- Innsbruck, Austria: Osterreichische Lonergan.
- Bondo, Kenya: Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology.
- Nairobi, Kenya: Nairobi Lonergan Research Centre
- Nairobi, Kenya: Hekima College.
- Johannesburg, South Africa: St. Augustine's College.
- Sydney: Australian Lonergan Centre.
- Box Hill, Vic.: Yarra Theological Union.
- Australian Catholic University.
- "Bernard Lonergan (1904 - 1984)," biography by Bernard Lonergan Archive, Marquette University
- Lambert, Pierrot and Philip McShane. Bernard Lonergan: His Life and Leading Ideas. Vancouver: Axial Publishing, 2010. ( Google Books preview)
- " Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy"by Tad Dunne
- "Who was Bernard Lonergan?" by Matthew Ogilvie
- "A Course on Insight" by Patrick Byrne, The Lonergan Institute on Boston College
- Courses by Charles Tackney and Robert Doran
- Jim Englert's notes on courses about Lonergan, such as transcripts for Bob Doran's lectures in Toronto in the mid-1980s
- The Lonergan Workshop, The Lonergan Institute at Boston College
- The Lonergan Review
- Lonergan Workshop Journal
- Lonergan Studies Newsletter
- Method: Journal of Lonergan Studies
- Byrne, Patrick. "Spirit of Wonder, Spirit of Love: Reflections on the Work of Bernard Lonergan." Budhi 16 , no. 2 (1997): 67 - 84.
- Rosenberg, Randall. Review of "Startling Strangeness: Reading Lonergan's Insight" by Richard Liddy. Catholic Social Science Review 16 (2011): 272 - 275.
- Cronin, Brian. "The Purpose of Metaphysics." Method: Journal of Lonergan Studies 3, no. 2 (2012): 27 - 44.
- Liddy, Richard. "'Wisdom' and the Transformation of the Disciplines" The Lonergan Website.
- Liddy, Richard M. "'A Shower of Insights:' Autobiography and Intellectual Conversion." Method: Journal of Lonergan Studies 21, no. 2 (2003): 125 -144.
- Crisp, Oliver et al. Christianity and the Disciplines: The Transformation of the University. London: T &T Clark, 2012.
- Cronin, Brian. Foundations of Philosophy: Lonergan's Cognitional Theory and Epistemology. Nairobi: Consolata Institute of Philosophy Press, 2001.
- Cronin, Bryan. Value Ethics: A Lonergan Perspective. Nairobi: Consolata Institute of Philosophy Press, 2006.
- Crowe, Frederick. Appropriating the Lonergan Idea. Edited by Michael Vertin. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2006.
- Crowe, Frederick E. Developing the Lonergan Legacy: Historical, Theoretical, and Existential Themes. Edited by Michael Vertin. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2004.
- Danaher, William J., ed. Australian Lonergan Workshop. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1993.
- Flanagan, Joseph. Quest for Self-Knowledge: An Essay in Lonergan's Philosophy. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1997.
- Liddy, Richard. Startling Strangeness: Reading Lonergan's Insight. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 2007.
- Liddy, Richard. Transforming Light: Intellectual Conversion in the Early Lonergan. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1993.
- Liptay, John J. and David S. Liptay. The Importance of Insight: Essays in Honour of Michael Vertin. Toronto, University of Toronto Press, 2007.
- Mathews, William. Lonergan's Quest: A Study of Desire in the Authoring of Insight. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2005.
- Morelli, Mark D., Toward Self-Possession: Being at Home in Conscious Performance. Chestnut Hill, MA: Lonergan Institute, Boston College. 2015.