On February 23 & 25, the Joseph A. Unanue Latino Institute will host the third annual African Diaspora, Black Identity, Colorism Panel (ABC): Family Matters.
This year's special two-part event will have a special emphasis on family structures in the black community. This discussion will highlight the complexities and dynamics of race, gender, and sexuality within a family structure.
On February 23, starting at 7 p.m. EST, the "ABC Panel: Colorism in Family Structure" will seek to explore the complexities and dynamics of colorism in the family structure. The panel will be moderated by Dr. Kelly Harris, Director of Africana Studies at Seton Hall. The panel will be comprised of faculty and students. Panelists will include:
- Thanelie Bien-Aim, President, Black Student Union
- Joel Paulino, Brand Director, D'USSE Cognac at Bacardi and Joseph A. Unanue Latino Institute Board Member
- Ali Mumbach, Saint Paul's Outreach, Seton Hall
- Ghana Hylton, Director of Scheduling and Operations, Seton Hall
- Mojisola Adesanya, Seton Hall Student
On February 25, kicking off at 7 p.m. EST, the "ABC Panel: Gender & Sexuality" will attempt to understand the family structure through the lens of gender and sexuality. The panel will be moderated by Beatrice Simpkins, the Executive Director of the Newark LGBTQ Community Center. Panelists will include:
- Dr. Simone Alexander, Professor of English, Seton Hall
- Patlene Denis, Vice President, Black Student Union
- Amber Ingram '20, Seton Hall University Alumna
- Lizbeth Irizarry, Vice President of SHUPride
The Latino Institute thanks the co-sponsoring organizations of the event: Black Student Union, Kappa Delta Pi, Multicultural Advisory Committee, Adelante, African Student Association, SHU Prude, Korean Language and Culture Club, and FLASH.
"Colorism in the Family Structure" and "Gender & Sexuality" will require registration and can be completed by clicking the selected panels.
For any questions and/or if you require special accommodations due to a disability, please contact the Institute's Executive Director, Ana Campoverde at email@example.com or 973-761-9422.
Categories: Arts and Culture