How to Study Abroad
Deadlines and applications vary based on the type of Study Abroad program you are applying to. Fill out the Study Abroad Application here »
Exchange Program Applications:
Spring semester: August 1st
Fall semester: March 1st
More information on Exchange Program options »
Third-Party Program Applications:
Spring semester: October 15th
Summer semester: March 15th
Fall semester: June 1st
More information on Third-Party Program options »
Four weeks prior to the departure of the trip.
More information on Faculty-Led Program options »
Study Abroad Checklist -To be completed in order!
- If you are a student with a disability in need of accommodations to fully participate on a study abroad trip, you must contact the Office of Disability Support Services (DSS), Duffy Hall, Room 67, at the time of application. For more information or to register for services, contact DSS at (973) 313-6003 or by e-mail at DSS@shu.edu
- Apply for passport (May take up to six weeks to process)
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss course selection (bring credit transfer form and course descriptions)
- Meet with Gary Thomas in Financial Aid about loans/grants (N/A for summer)
- Apply to study abroad program. Deadlines vary by semester and program!
- Complete the OIP study abroad application (check application checklist for deadlines)
- Apply for your student visa (if necessary) – check with program to inquire
- Book flight! ONLY after you have been approved by program, OIP and received visa, if applicable
- Attend OIP's Mandatory Pre-departure Orientation which takes place the semester before your departure.
If you choose to study abroad, you must apply through the OIP!
- Email our office at OIP@shu.edu
- Set up a Microsoft Teams meeting with one of our advisors. To initiate a Microsoft Teams virtual meeting, please email your availability and an advisor will set up a Teams meeting.
- Please keep in mind that as we are not in the office, telephone voicemail will not be monitored.