Office of International Programs Logo
English students studying abroad in Ireland.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I fill out my Credit Transfer Sheet?
Please review this document for helpful tips on how to complete your credit transfer sheet.

I'm studying abroad, why am I being billed for my Seton Hall classes?
Scenario 1: If you are studying abroad with a 3rd party provider or directly enrolling at another university, you must drop your SHU courses in order for the registrar to register you for the Study Abroad Placer course and the bursar to remove your SHU tuition.

Scenario 2: If you are studying on an exchange program, you are supposed to be billed for SHU tuition, so that your current aid package remains in place.

Can I use my Seton Hall scholarship and aid to study abroad?
To confirm whether your current aid package can be applied to your study abroad program, please schedule an appointment with Gary Thomas in the Financial Aid Office.

In general:

  • Exchange programs – Yes, you can use your current SHU scholarship and other aid
  • 3rd Party Providers – Only federal aid and bank loans can be applied
  • Spring Faculty-led Programs – Yes, you can use your current SHU scholarship and other aid as long as this course will count within the flat tuition rate (12-18 credits)
  • Summer Faculty-led Programs – Generally SHU scholarships and aid do not cover summer classes. You may not use the SHU Summer Scholarship, as the SHU tuition for summer faculty-led programs is already discounted at 25%.

How do I comply with the insurance requirement of the study abroad application? 
When you are studying abroad with a third party organization, make sure that they include insurance with your program costs.

When studying abroad in an exchange program or directly enrolling in a university abroad, please purchase the GeoBlue Insurance plan.

If I am studying abroad again, do I need to submit all my documents again?
You can reuse your previous passport copy if it has not expired. We can also reuse your medical form if it was completed in the last 6 months.

My passport will be expiring around the time I return from my study abroad program is that okay?
No, you must check the passport validity requirements at this link with the country you are traveling to. Click here for more information

Do I need a visa to travel to my study abroad destination?
Depending on your country of citizenship you may need a visa to enter your host country.

For US citizens check this link 
For citizens of other countries, please check with the host country's embassy located in the New York or DC area

Do U.S. permanent residents need a visa to travel to other countries?
You must follow the rules of your country of citizenship, not the U.S., to determine whether you need a visa to enter another country.

What number should I call in the event of an emergency while I am abroad?
Faculty-led Program: Please contact the faculty member or chaperone leading your group

Third-Party Company/Direct Enroll: Contact the emergency contact at your program / international office

OIP: You may always call our office during business at (973) 761-9072 and or outside of business hours at (973)761-9300 (ask to speak to OIP).

Young adults holding flags from different countries.

F-1 Visa Student FAQs

How to apply for on-campus housing
Once you have been accepted to Seton Hall University:

  1. Pay your housing deposit online.
  2. Complete the roommate survey here. You will need your SHU username and password to enter the site.

A few notes about housing:

  • You must do steps 1 and 2, in order for your housing application to be complete.
  • On-campus housing is limited, so you should secure your spot by making a deposit and completing the roommate survey by May 1 or as soon as possible.
  • If you live on campus, you must participate in a University meal plan. The University offers a variety of options to suit your lifestyle, including varying numbers of meals, guest passes and Pirate Bucks (a debit-like card you can use across campus). If you do not select a meal plan and plan to live on campus, Meal Plan 1 will be selected for you. You will have until the end of Add/Drop each semester to change your meal plan.

Can International Students waive Seton Hall's health insurance?
International Students are not allowed to waive the school insurance plan unless their scholarship covers them for insurance.

How to submit health services immunization and health questionnaire?
Every student is required to submit a Health History form, TB Risk Assessment, and Meningitis Information Sheet which can be found online in the Student Health Portal. Login with your PirateNet credentials. Instructions are provided within the portal.

You may also find the immunization requirements on the Health Services website » 

Which airport is the closest to Seton Hall University?
Newark airport (EWR) is the closest airport to all 3 of about a 20 minute drive from the South Orange campus. However students also do fly into John F. Kennedy (JFK) airport in NY, which is approximately 1.5 hours from campus.

How do I get to campus from the airport?
Please see the following options available for a private car service or shuttle. They can be found on the international student resources webpage under Transportation Links.

Work Permissions for Students on an F1 Visa:
F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

Are there resources for Off-Campus Housing?
Seton Hall University is not affiliated with any of the housing options below. We are only providing this to you as a resource.

Websites with housing options:

Suggested towns to look for housing:
These towns, except for South Orange, are not in walking distance to the SHU campus. Please look for housing near the train station to be able to get to campus easily.

  • South Orange
  • Maplewood
  • Morristown
  • West Orange
  • Millburn
  • Hoboken