All investigators are required to attach a certificate, no older than two calendar years, indicating completion of the tutorial on the protection of human research subjects when a protocol is submitted to the IRB for review.
Any faculty, staff member or student of Seton Hall University who is a member of the study team and is engaged in the conduct of human subject research must complete the web-based Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI) Program in the Protection of Human Subjects in Research available here. The certificate is valid for two years.
If you have never taken a CITI course, you will have to complete one of the following trainings based on the type of research you perform:
For a step-by-step tutorial on how to complete an initial account registration, click here »
If you have previously taken the CITI course and your training is about to expire, you can complete the refresher course.
- CITI will automatically add the "Refresher" course to your list of courses 90 days before your CITI Training expires.
- System generated emails to inform you on the approaching expiration will be sent to the email used during registration.
- You may only take the refresher course 3 times. After that, you are required to complete the Basic course again.
For a step-by-step tutorial on how to initiate a refresher course through the CITI portal, click here »
If you have previously registered and taken a CITI training course at another institution
- You can login to the CITI program portal with you existing credentials
- In the top right corner, select the down arrow next to your username and ID and click on profiles.
- Scroll to the “Institutional Profiles” and select “Add an Affiliation”
- Enter Seton Hall University as the organization
- Check the boxes to agree to the terms of service and affirmation of affiliation, and continue
- Update any changes to your information
- Select the appropriate course (Basic or Refresher) for your research area
- Answer remaining questions and submit
After you have completed all of the modules and passed the quizzes with a score of 70% or better, you will be able to download and print a Course Completion Report. You will be required to submit a copy of your course completion certificate with each application to the IRB.