Thursday, June 3, 2021
Restriction Updates, University Vaccine Levels and Helpful Resources
Governor Murphy's Executive Orders No. 242 and 243 lifted many COVID-19 restrictions as a result of much-improved public health statistics and increased vaccinations. Specifically, as noted in last week's HICT update:
- The mask mandate in most indoor public spaces was lifted, as well as the six-foot social distancing requirement in most indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Degree-granting public and private institutions of higher education are not required to implement policies to provide for social distancing in classrooms, residence halls, restrooms, and other areas across campus.
- At 6 a.m. ET on Friday, June 4, 2021, workplaces that are not open to the public per Executive Order No. 242 (2021) are not mandated to require employees to wear face masks or social distance at the worksite where the employee provides proof that they are fully vaccinated, as defined by the CDC, and in accordance with federal and State law.
As a result, and in concert with these Executive Orders, please note the following effects for each of our campuses:
- Individuals who are fully vaccinated are not required to wear a mask or practice social distancing indoors on each campus and at indoor, off-campus University activities. However, they are welcome to wear a mask if they choose.
- Individuals who are not fully vaccinated are required to wear a mask indoors on each campus and at indoor, off-campus University activities.
- Masks are not required outdoors.
- Plexiglass will be removed from the dining areas.
- Plexiglass will remain in the classrooms for faculty who wish to use it.
Enforcement is via the honor code. We expect everyone will be truthful in their reporting and activities.
Please remember to keep a mask with you at all times as individual locations you visit off-campus may have their own requirements or requests.
University Vaccination Levels
Governor Murphy noted that he made these decisions partly due to the high vaccination levels (approximately 60%) among the state's adult population with a goal of having 70% fully vaccinated by June 30. Through the recently-released Confidential Vaccine Declaration the University is gaining a clear picture of vaccination levels across its populations. As of June 2, 2021:
Notice of the declaration requirement was sent to 13,078 individuals. 82.9% of the recipients responded. Approximately sixty percent (60.7%) report being fully vaccinated. Almost eleven percent (10.3%) report having received the first of two injections. Almost seventeen percent (16.6%) plan to get vaccinated. Twelve percent (12.3%) report they will be seeking an exemption. We will continue to update you on the declaration. Please remember it is imperative and required that you complete the declaration. Thank you to all who have already done so.
Resources to Help You
Even with positive health news and signs of the eventual end of the pandemic, individuals can still experience myriad feelings of stress and anxiety from the past year. Seton Hall provides employees with an array of resources through Cigna's Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The University pays for the service, free of cost to employees and their household members.
Employees can learn more at:
Students also have a wide range of resources, and are encouraged to use our Student Services departments, including the Academic Resource Center, Health Services, and Counseling and Psychological Services. Students have access to crisis intervention services 24 hours a day, seven days a week through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). CAPS has offices at all three university campuses (South Orange, IHS and the Law School). Appointments can be made by calling (973) 761-9500. After hours in case of a psychological emergency, call CAPS at (973) 761-9500 to speak to a trained crisis counselor.
Your health and well being are of paramount importance.
Shawna Cooper-Gibson, Ed.D.
Vice President of Student Services
Vice President of University Relations
Co-chairs, Health Intervention and Communication Team
Categories: Campus Life , Health and Medicine