Counseling and Psychological Services Update and Coronavirus Resources
A Message Our Team
Dear Seton Hall Community,
In accordance with CDC and state guidelines and recommendations, CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) is taking precautions to keep our community healthy and safe. Until further notice, CAPS is suspending all in person appointments and will provide remote support as needed and appropriate.
Access to CAPS Services During the COVID-19 Crisis:
- Our hours of operation (remotely) remain Monday-Friday from 8:45 AM -4:45 PM.
- Current clients can call (973) 761-9500 or contact their counselor via email to determine whether remote support may be appropriate.
- Students who have never been to CAPS can receive support by calling (973) 761-9500. Your needs will be assessed via phone and we will provide support as needed and appropriate.
- If you or someone you know are experiencing a psychological emergency after business hours: Call (973) 761-9500 and speak directly via phone with a trained crisis counselor. Or call 911 or go to your nearest hospital emergency room.
Maintaining Emotional Wellness During COVID-19 Crisis:
We understand that many of you may be feeling isolated as public health officials encourage us to distance ourselves from others and community events are canceled. We encourage you to continue to find ways to connect with your personal supports during this time. Emotional wellness is just as important as physical well-being, don't forget to take a moment for yourself.
- Make a phone call
- Create a play list and sing along!
- Video chat with a friend
- Send a handwritten note in the mail
- Download a relaxation App
- Spend time doing art projects
- Enjoy a private movie night
- Try Sudoku or a crossword puzzle
- Watch a TED talk
- Stretch your body or exercise at home
- Play video games
- Read a book for fun
- Watch a CAPS What's Up Doc video
For additional tips on managing anxiety and distress related to COVID-19 please refer to the following resources:
- Therapist Assistance Online provides free Mindfulness Meditations to help ease your anxiety!
- CAPS Tips for Managing Concerns and Emotions during the Coronavirus Outbreak
- SAMHSA-Taking Care of Your Behavioral Health: Coping Tips for Social Distancing in English. View the SAMHSA-Taking Care of Your Behavioral Health: Coping Tips for Social Distancing in Spanish.
- Center for Disease Control: Managing Anxiety and Stress related to COVID-19
- Center for Disease Control Reducing Stigma
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America - has links (one of which is a virtual support group) and some helpful resources for students and faculty)
- The Mighty to Stay Positive!
- Check out this page for more CAPS Resources
Wishing you all good health and safety!