Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
Abstract Images of Virus Image Over World Map

Frequently Asked Questions

Seton Hall University is monitoring the latest news and information regarding the coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan City, China and has spread to many locations around the world, including New Jersey. 

The official name for the virus is “SARS-CoV-2” and the illness it causes is known as “Coronavirus Disease 2019” (abbreviated as COVID-19). Please see below for commonly asked questions and answers about the disease and the University’s ongoing response.

There are confirmed cases of COVID-19 among members of the Seton Hall campus community (details). Although the University remains open, consistent with CDC recommendations, the University is further significantly reducing the number of individuals on its three campuses. Any changes to Seton Hall’s operating status will be distributed widely through multiple communications channels.

Students who are struggling with non-physical issues related to COVID-19 are encouraged to reach out to CAPS counselors.

The following FAQ will be updated as new information becomes available. 

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Notes

Travel Recommendations, Study Abroad Details, F-1 and J-1 Students

Prospective Students and Visitors Informations

Campus Services and Housing

Academic Affairs and Updates

Clinical Experience (60 hour) Placements 

Clinical Practice 1 (175 hour) Placements

Clinical Practice 2 (Full-time Student Teaching) Placements

Education Leadership Management and Policy Internships 

Professional Psychology and Family Therapy Students

Working at Seton Hall 

University Events and Commencement

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Notes

How do I protect myself from COVID-19?

Prevention is very important. Here are ways to stay healthy:

  1. Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and water.
  2. Increase your fluid intake.
  3. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth and face.
  4. Keep home/personal spaces clean; disinfect common surfaces.
  5. Avoid contact with sick people.
  6. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue/paper towel and discard it immediately. If neither are available, the crook of your elbow is acceptable. Do not cough or sneeze into your hand.
  7. If you have not received an influenza (flu) vaccine this year, get one as soon as possible.

What if I feel sick?

COVID-19 causes a respiratory illness. Symptoms may include fever, cough and shortness of breath, runny nose, headache and sore throat. In severe cases, the virus can cause pneumonia. There is no vaccine or treatment currently available for this or other coronaviruses.

  1. If you are off campus: Stay home and contact your medical provider over the phone.
  2. If you are on campus: call (rather than visit) University Health Services immediately.
  3. If you are diagnosed with COVID-19, Seton Hall asks that you give due regard to the health and safety of others and self-quarantine.

What is being done to prepare the University for the spread of COVID-19?

1. Since the onset of the disease, Seton Hall has distributed multiple community announcements to promote proper hygiene and other precautionary measures.

2.    The University is being more vigilant when cleaning doorknobs, handrails and other touch surfaces. Housekeeping is policing restrooms for sanitizing and filling soap dispensers.  

3.    Following the lead of companies such as Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts, Seton Hall will not be refilling reusable cups. Likewise, students will not be allowed to fill reusable containers in the Pirate Dining Room beverage areas.

4.    The University has formed a Health Intervention and Communication Team to streamline Seton Hall’s response to the emerging illness. Its membership includes:

  • Matthew Borowick, M.B.A., Interim Vice President of University Advancement
  • Rev. Gerald Buonopane, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer, College of Arts and Sciences
  • Shawna Cooper-Gibson, Ed.D., Vice President of Student Services
  • Barry Eck, Assistant Director of Public Safety
  • Cara Foerst, J.D., Associate Dean, School of Law
  • Joan Guetti, Ph.D., Senior Associate Provost
  • Yanzhong Huang, Ph.D., Professor, School of Diplomacy and International Relations
  • Judith Lothian, Ph.D., R.N., FAAN, Professor, College of Nursing
  • Diane Lynch, M.S.N., FNP-BC, Director of Health Services

5.    Director of Health Services Diane Lynch continues to communicate regularly with local and state officials to obtain the latest information about the spread of the virus.

6.    All spring study abroad trips were cancelled due to the spread of the virus internationally, as well as the potential threat of the virus spreading within the United States. For more information about study abroad, please click on the link above.

7.    Seton Hall is collaborating with the Archdiocese of Newark to implement its COVID-19 directives.

Travel Recommendations and Study Abroad Details

What if I feel well and have travel plans, or have traveled recently?

Seton Hall is asking everyone to reconsider international travel and travel to areas of the United States where cases of COVID-19 have been widely reported.

While the odds of being infected in the United States are low, the CDC has identified nations where the risk of contracting the disease is higher. Visit the CDC website for a list of level 3 countries.

Based on the latest guidance by the CDC and New Jersey Department of Health, students, faculty and staff members who return from these countries are subject to the following precautions:

  • They should undergo a health screening and 14 days of self-quarantine with health monitoring to ensure they have not contracted the virus and do not pose a public health risk.
  • All asymptomatic (without symptoms) students/faculty/staff members under monitoring must be excluded from work and school for 14 days from their last date abroad.

If your travel plans put you in this category, please contact University Health Services immediately. 

Why did Seton Hall cancel its spring 2020 study abroad?

The University cancelled the spring study abroad trips because of health and safety concerns for our students as well as our faculty and staff who lead the trips. In addition, there were concerns that student travelers could encounter quarantines in hotels and at other locations abroad which could affect their ability to complete their studies during the spring semester.

Why were countries where coronavirus is not an issue also included in the cancellation?

The spread of the coronavirus is highly unpredictable and has been spreading from one country to another in rapid succession. We continue to see a spike in cases outside of China and updates and travel alerts as the outbreak spreads to some of the destinations of our study abroad countries.

In addition, air travel to anywhere in the world is an issue at this time due to the potential risk of exposure to the virus from other passengers.

What is the University doing about refunds for cancelled study abroad trips?

The Office of the Provost is working with our trip leaders who made the initial arrangements with vendors and service providers for the international trips on getting refunds. In some cases, these vendors and agents made outlays of money to secure tickets and pricing. We have asked these providers for clarity regarding refund policies and the amounts that were already paid to airlines and hotels. We await this additional information. Due to various travel advisories and the cancellation of many study abroad programs nationwide, this is taking longer to resolve than we anticipated. 

The University continues to operate in good faith and is attempting to provide refunds for all trips in a responsible and equitable fashion while also being mindful of the obligations already undertaken by our travel partners. We appreciate the patience and support we have received from so many individuals as we try to navigate this situation.

How many students are impacted by the cancellations?

There were seven academic study abroad trips planned for the spring semester: Greece (two separate trips), Italy, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Switzerland (non-credit bearing trip) and India. The flight to India had boarded Wednesday morning prior to the decision to cancel the trips. There were 80 students affected by the cancellation this week.

How are we assisting displaced students?

The University recognizes the impact to our students of cancelling the study abroad trips, and we have arranged that all students who have been displaced due to these circumstances will be able to receive free University housing and breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Pirates Cove during Spring Break. If, because of the cancellation of international course or mission trips occasioned by the coronavirus, you require on-campus housing over Spring break, please notify the Office of International Programs. The University will provide your name to Dining Services and you will be able to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Pirates Cove between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Please let us know if you have any special dietary restrictions.

Had any study abroad trips already started before the cancellation? Where? How many students?

Yes. One group had already boarded their flight to India on Wednesday before the decision was made to cancel the remaining trips. We believe there were five students taking part in the India trip.

Are the summer study abroad courses going to be offered? 

The US State Department continues to advise Americans not to travel internationally. There is no time frame given for the expiration of advisories to stay home and practice social distancing. We feel the most prudent course of action is to cancel all summer study abroad trips.

Who should students contact at the University regarding the cancelled study abroad trips?

Students should contact the respective faculty trip leaders for each of the planned study abroad trips for any updates. The Office of the Provost is working with the faculty trip leaders and the respective travel companies to determine how best to proceed regarding the possibility of rescheduling, attaining credits and/or pursuing refunds. This is a top priority of the University and additional information will be available early next week.

Can students still travel on their own?

Students, faculty and staff can elect to travel abroad at their own risk but not as part of a University sanctioned trip. We advise students who decide to travel abroad to check for the latest information about the coronavirus in the countries they plan to visit and ensure that there are no health advisories or travel restrictions before departing. Please follow new travel alerts and watches from CDC and the U.S. Department of State.

To safeguard the health and safety of our campus community, we expect travelers from these countries to self-quarantine for the recommended 14-day period.

Are F1/J1 students permitted to take all classes online?

SEVP is aware that many universities have transitioned to online classes. We are in close contact with our government representatives and informing them of these necessary changes. F-1/J-1 international students that remain in the U.S. or return to their home country while completing their courses online, will need to access certain software programs (BlackBoard and Teams, etc) in order to continue completing all course requirements. It is recommended to keep documentation of how you are maintaining your F1 status during this time, such as keeping a calendar of online class interactions and a copy of official university broadcasts related to the new online format.

Should I return to my home country?

We encourage students to make this decision with their family. Travel is a big risk right now and for the immediate future. At any point in time, there could be additional travel bans put in place to prevent individuals from other countries from entering the U.S. Likewise, other countries are putting travel bans into place. Please refer to information from the embassy/consulate of your home country for the details of those bans. Travel bans continue to be announced, so please check before purchasing tickets.

If you are planning to leave the US, please inform the Office of International Programs before you travel.

If I return to my home country, will my F-1/J-1 status be affected?

If you are successful in completing your course requirements remotely and make normal progress, then your F-1/J-1 status will remain as active throughout the semester. 

Students who are unable to finish the course from abroad, must contact the Office of International Programs. Students that notify our office, will have their visa status terminated for Authorized Early Withdrawal – this is not a negative reason. It indicates that you are unable to finish the program. Terminated students that wish to re-enroll at Seton Hall in the fall, should contact the Office of International Programs right away to discuss your options. Some options are time-sensitive and may impact employment benefits (CPT/OPT).

Students that do not notify OIP that they are unable to finish the semester will be terminated as an unauthorized withdrawal - which is a negative reason.

What if I cannot access online classes from my home country?

Students will be expected to complete the requirements outlined by their professors while participating in online classes. This will likely involve using Seton Hall email, Blackboard, Teams, etc. If you are unable to attend classes remotely from your home country, then please inform our office and your status will be terminated for Authorized Early Withdrawal as mentioned above. If you are outside of the U.S. for more than five months and your record is not active, you will need to re-apply for a new SEVIS number and a new I-20 before re-entering the U.S. This means you will need to pay the SEVIS fee again and wait 1 academic year before being able to participate in CPT and OPT.

What happens if I return to my home country and I cannot access classes online, but I fail to inform OIP?

Students are required to report any changes to OIP, including withdrawing from the semester. Students who do not report this information to our office will be terminated for a negative reason which could impact future immigration benefits.

I have decided to travel home. What should I do now?

  • Contact the Office of International Programs
  • Contact your professors to advise that you are departing the U.S. 
  • Ensure that your I-20/DS-2019 will not be expiring during the time that you will be out of the country. If it will expire, contact our office.
  • Check the date of the latest travel signature on your I-20/DS-2019. Normally, students must enter with a signature no older than 1 year, however we will be monitoring whether SEVIS will be flexible with this requirement - as many students have left the U.S. without an updated signature. We will advise students if we hear an update on this.
  • Check travel bans before booking your flight
  • Check your visa expiration date. If it is expired/will expire prior to returning to the U.S., you must renew it while abroad

Is the Office of International Programs open?

  • We are supporting students and scholars remotely. 
  • The best way to reach us is by emailing
  • We will not be answering the office telephone and voicemail
  • All appointments will be conducted via Microsoft Teams.* If that doesn't work for you, please let us know.
  • Please submit all documents via DropBox or scanned to our email at Please do not mail or attempt to drop them off in person.
  • All relevant forms can be found on our website.
  • Our office may need more than our usual 5-7 business days to process your requests, questions and/or concerns.

Can I still apply for OPT?

F-1 students who remain in the US and who will complete their program within 90 days may apply for OPT. Please see the link above for the OPT packet. Travel while OPT is pending is not recommended.

What if I still have more questions?

We are encouraging students to either email or request an appointment via Microsoft Teams.

Prospective Students and Visitors Informations

Are campus tours still being offered through Undergraduate Admissions?

Starting on Monday, March 16, we will be suspending campus tours until further notice. 

In the meantime, we encourage you to watch the following:

  • Information Session Presentation – this is the presentation typically provided before our campus tour
  • Campus tour video – this student narrated video shows you key places around campus
  • Walking tour video with 360-degree videos – this video follows our student tour guides as they walk across campus and shows you stops along the tour using 360-degree videos
  • IHS campus video – this is a great opportunity to take a look at our Interprofessional Health Sciences campus where students in our Nursing, PA, PT, OT, AT, Speech-Language Pathology and Joint MD programs will study at some point during their time at SHU
  • Hear from our students – this link will allow you to hear the stories and experiences of dozens of Seton Hall students

Will the Pirate Preview admitted student event still take place in April?

Out of concern for the health and safety of our students, community members and visitors, Pirate Preview has been cancelled. Videos of each session will be made available and sent out to all admitted students within coming days. This event may be rescheduled for a later date, at which point we will notify all admitted students via email with any relevant information.

Will Undergraduate Open House still take place on April 19th?

Out of concern for the health and safety of our students, community members and visitors, this event has been cancelled. Videos of each session will be made available and sent out to all registrants as we get closer to the scheduled date.

Can I still visit the admission office for an interview or an appointment?

We will not be taking in person appointments but students are welcomed to contact their admission counselor to set up a virtual appointment.

Is the South Orange Campus open to guests? 

The Ward Gate entrance (cars and pedestrians) will be closed 24/7.  Signage will be placed. 

Farinella Entrance: 

  • Vehicle entry – 1 lane only next to Guard Booth 
  • License plate recognition system allows for immediate acknowledgement by Guard of employees, thus allowing them entrance. 
  • If University moves to Essential Personnel access only, ALL vehicles will be stopped and even employees will have to show Essential Personnel Card. 
  • All Employees should be advised to carry CWID and Essential Personnel Card (if applicable) at all times. 


  • Will be stopped at Gate and questioned as to their business 
  • Deliveries will be permitted 
  • Parents picking up students will be permitted 
  • Visitors to Library will be not be permitted 

All employees who are having meetings with non-employees should be advised to do so remotely if possible.  If not possible, the name of the non-employee and the person/location of the meeting/host of the meeting must be provided to PS&S 24 hours in advance so that the non-employee/guest can be granted access. 

Campus Services and Housing

Are students allowed to stay on campus? 

Resident students currently remaining in residence halls must move out by 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 21 unless they have received written permission from the Division of Student Services in response to their Housing Accommodation request to remain in housing. Students will receive notification of their request no later than noon on Thursday, March 19. Resident students will receive a follow up email shortly with details on the moving process. Students with other concerns should email

Can I return on campus to retrieve my belongings?

We are balancing requests from our students and families to retrieve their belongings while being mindful of physical distancing guidelines. Beginning Friday, March 27 through and including Sunday, April 5, we are allowing a limited number of residents per day to come back to campus to pack up their belongings for the remainder of the semester. However, you must reserve a specific time so we can adhere to procedures to protect the health and well-being of you and our staff. With the guidance from the Office of Secretary of Higher education (OSHE), Seton Hall has taken all steps possible to protect the health and safety of students, family, and staff during the move-out process, such as minimizing the number of people moving out at one time, promoting social distancing throughout the process, and continuing to clean and sanitize areas.

To return to campus to retrieve your belongings:

  • Sign up for a designated Check-Out time on eRezLife with the following steps:
  • Log into SHU PirateNet and click on the eRezLife Chicklet
  • On the left-hand side of the page, there is a tab label “JOBS.” Click the job labeled “Belongings Pick-Up” and complete the form in its entirety.
  • Return to the home screen of eRezLife. 
  • To sign up for a check-out time slot, use the “sign up for an interview” button in the top center of the screen.
  • Please ONLY choose a time slot for the residence hall where your belongings are being picked up from.
  • A confirmation email will be sent to confirm your time slot for arrival. 
  • You may only arrive during your check-out time and not before or after the designated time.
  • Contact with any questions regarding this process. 

You may also contact your Residence Hall Director (RHD) if you need assistance. A limited number of moving boxes are available for pick-up in the Boland Hall Pirate Cellar and the lobby of Xavier Hall. 

For the health and well-being of all community members, you may bring one individual to assist with your move. Anyone else accompanying you that day must remain in the car loading/parking area. The Housing and Residence Life staff will be available on that day to assist you, consistent with physical distancing policies and procedures. 

Important Note: Anyone coming to campus should be in good health and not experiencing symptoms of illness, including fever, cough or difficulty breathing. Anyone who lives in or traveled to areas with large numbers of COVID-19 cases should not come to campus.  Please consult the CDC website for further information.

How should I prepare to come to campus and pack my belongings? 

  • Dumpsters will be provided outside of the residence halls for anything you do not wish to take home. 
  • Check out instructions and your key envelope will be taped to your residence hall room.
  • If you are returning to campus and need your key, pick up your key from the hall Desk Assistant. 
  • Please discard all trash in the designated receptacles or the dumpsters.
  • If you have a refrigerator rental, please clean out all food, unplug the refrigerator and leave the refrigerator door open and in the room.
  • Take all of your belongings.
  • Lock your door.
  • Drop off your key in the dropbox before you leave campus. Please note, all of your belongings must be moved out of your room before you turn in your key.
  • Email Housing and Residence Life at that you have vacated and locked your room and dropped your key.

What if I am unable to return to campus by April 5, 2020?

You can designate a proxy (Seton Hall resident or relative) to pack your room and move your items for you. You must provide written consent for this process here. Select “YES” for the question, “Do you have a proxy?” Students who use a proxy are still required to sign up on eRezLife with a check-out time (see instructions above). 

If you do not have a proxy, your rooms will be left in their current condition until April 15, 2020. After that date, your items will be packed by a University designated moving company and locked in a secure location on campus. You must provide written consent for this process here. Select “NO” for the question “Do you have a proxy?” and additional questions will appear. 

Please mail your room key to the address listed below. Be sure to include your name, ID number, room and hall:

Seton Hall University 
Attention: Housing and Residence Life 
400 South Orange Ave.
South Orange, NJ 07079

Why are students being asked to come back to campus to retrieve their belongings?

Students began retrieving their belongings from the South Orange campus as part of a move-out process that adheres to social distancing and complies with Governor Murphy's Executive Order 107 and its "stay at home" guidelines. State officials and our healthcare partners have asked us to be available should the need arise for safe living arrangements for healthcare workers. Thus, we are working to be in a state of readiness should our residence halls be required to assist our community partners with the state’s response to the pandemic.

Will there be prorated refunds for room, board and parking?

At the recommendation of the administration, the Board of Regents unanimously approved prorated refunds for room, board and parking. Like other universities that have committed to these types of refunds, Seton Hall is working through state and federal financial aid/Title IV funding regulations to ensure the refunds are processed in accordance with relevant laws and regulations. The process and relevant regulations are lengthy and complex. We anticipate refunds in April.

The University will provide prorated parking refunds for students at the IHS campus.

Are SHUFly and SafeRide services still running?

In response to the recent Corona virus (COVID-19) outbreak and CDC recommendations of social distancing, SHUFLY and SafeRide services are suspended effective immediately, with limited hours for Ora Manor. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We hope to resume transportation services as soon as campus operations return to normal. 

Is the Mailroom open?

The mailroom on the South Orange campus is now closed for walk-in business. To arrange a mail/package pick up, please call (973) 275-5897 or email

Will the bookstore be open?

The Bookstore will be closed until further notice on all three campuses. Customers are able to make online orders and Follett is offering free ground shipping for deliveries. Orders can be placed at

What are the hours for the Dining, the Richie Regan Center, and the University Libraries?

  • Food service will be operating out of the Pirates Cove 7am-7pm daily. All students remaining on campus will be allowed to get meals from the Pirates Cove.
  • The Pirates Cove will also be open to the entire University community for purchases. The Pirates Cove is only for takeout service.
  • All catering is discontinued until further notice. Any questions please ChattBack us at 973-218-5932
  • The Richie Regan Recreation Center will be closed until further notice.
  • All University Libraries will be closed until further notice.

What are the office hours for Health Services? 

Health Services is open Monday through Friday from 8:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. and on Saturday's from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. If you are on campus please call (rather than visit) University Health Services.

What can I do to help students during this time?

Seton Hall is relying on the strength of its community to help students who are most in need as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and invites donations to the Student Emergency Fund and other areas of need.

Can I still attend in-person mass on the Seton Hall campus?

Cardinal Joseph W. Tobin, C.Ss.R., directed that all churches and chapels in the Archdiocese of Newark, including Immaculate Conception Chapel and chapels at the Law School and IHS campuses, were to be closed. Mass is celebrated privately in the University Chapel and streamed live via weekdays at noon and Sundays at 8 p.m.

Academic Affairs and Updates

How will the University’s operations change if and when COVID-19 spreads?

We will continue remote learning for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester. This will allow us to provide a detailed cleaning of campus and limit student interaction.

The University is asking faculty to be flexible in how students can complete their course requirements. The University will broaden its pass/fail rules to give undergraduate students more flexibility this semester. We are exploring how to maintain clinical experiences, which are required for licensure and professional development, in the face of potential site closures. 

There may be some rescheduling of assignments or extensions beyond the semester’s end. Useful information for faculty regarding various technology tools can be found here.

Are online classes meeting at normal class times during this online period?
The class meeting time will depend on how the class will be held remotely. If a class is going to meet through TEAMs, it may be held at the usual time - but online. If the professor is posting power point slides, the class may be asynchronous. Faculty have been asked to indicate to students the expectations for how the material will be posted and whether the class will be asynchronous or in real time. The place to start is to look on the BlackBoard site for the course.

If a student is unsure about the class, they should reach out to the instructor for more detailed instructions.

Can I opt to take a pass/fail option for courses this semester?

The deadline for undergraduate Pass/Fail requests for elective courses is the fifth week of classes.  This deadline is waived for those students now seeking the Pass/Fail option this semester for their free elective courses. The 6 Pass/Fail elective credits in the last 12-month period limit is also waived for the spring semester. The waiver to take any courses on a Pass/Fail basis has been extended to May 4, 2020.

Undergraduate students seeking a Pass/Fail option for courses in their major or in core courses should first consult with their department chair. In the College of Communication and the Arts and in the School of Theology, they should consult with their instructor and then their academic dean. Students in the College of Nursing or in dual degree programs with the School of Health and Medical Sciences should follow the guidance below: 

  • Nursing and pre-nursing majors must contact their chair or the Dean before taking any course P/F. 
  • Students enrolled in any SHMS dual degree program, in collaboration with the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Education and Human Services, will not be permitted to receive grades of Pass/Fail in any and all prerequisite and/or preprofessional undergraduate course requirements for the specific dual degree programs.  If any SHMS dual degree students have further questions, they should mail Dr. Deborah Welling, SHMS Assistant Dean for Dual Degree Programs, at

In several instances, there are serious employment and licensing implications about which students need to be aware with Pass/Fail grades, and, in some cases, present a bar to Pass/Fail grades.  Likewise, Pass/Fail grades in a major required for admission to programs may make a student’s application to medical school and other graduate programs less competitive.  The chairs need to explain these implications to students.

Graduate students should consult with their chairs concerning the Pass/Fail grading options. On the graduate level these grades are S (satisfactory)/U (unsatisfactory). 

Students are reminded that a “P” (pass) grade is excluded from the calculation of grade point averages, but “F” grades are factored in the grade point average.  For students retaking courses to improve their grade point averages, the Pass/Fail option may not be advisable. Once a student elects the Pass/Fail option, it is final. 

The Stillman School recently approved a policy for pass/fail and for withdraw that will apply to undergraduate students for the spring 2020 semester. The policy is listed below.

Grading Options for Stillman Undergraduate Courses for Spring 2020 Semester


  • Last day to request pass/fail will be consistent with the University deadline.
  • ANY or All undergraduate courses may be taken pass/fail.
  • In cases where the Stillman School requires students to attain a certain minimum grade in a specific course, a grade of Pass will be considered as having met that requirement and a grade of Fail will be considered as not having met the requirement.

Withdraw Deadline

  • Last day of classes (May 4)

Does taking a course P/F disqualify a student from Dean’s list?

Taking a course P/F does not disqualify a person from Dean’s list eligibility, however a student must earn letter grades in 12 or more undergraduate credits for the semester. Students must complete all courses with a G.P.A. of 3.4 with no grades lower than a ‘C.’

Students who receive a grade of “I,” “WD,” “NR”, “RR” or “IW” or “NA” or “NSA” or “FSA” in a semester are disqualified from Dean’s List eligibility for that semester. Students who are ungraded in a course are ineligible for Dean’s List consideration until such time as they are fully graded.

Will summer 2020 classes be held online?

Summer Sessions I (May 19 – June 23/30) and II (July 6 – August 6) will be held remotely. The University has added a Summer Session III (August 7 – August 26) to help students complete their studies. While we are preparing Summer Session III for an online format, we are hopeful that an improvement in the public health situation will allow us to provide Summer Session III in person. Registration is ongoing.

Are clinical experiences, internships or student teaching assignments suspended?

  • The College or Nursing is suspending the clinical experiences for all pre-licensure students. That includes our undergraduate students, and our CNL students who are pre-licensure MSN students, through and including Monday, April 13th and will be communicating with students about plans to complete clinical course objectives. Graduate students should contact their program directors regarding practica decisions. 

All SHMS clinical rotations, clinical practica, or any off-campus clinical experiences have been suspended through April 12, 2020.  Any SHMS student requiring additional clarification or assistance should contact their department chair, program director, or departmental Director(s) of Clinical Education. 

What’s happening with social work clinicals?

Due to the University ‘s continuance of remote learning for the rest of the semester, and in consideration for the health and safety of our students and the communities they serve, all field work in the social work undergraduate and graduate programs is suspended for the rest of the semester. However, according to national social work accrediting requirements, the required field hours must be completed. Please see the notice sent to students regarding the methods in which these requirements will be met. Any questions should be made to your field placement director.

Do I need to return to my placement in the Spring 2020 semester?

Not at this time. In consultation with CEHS administration and faculty, the Office of Clinical Experiences (OCEAR) has decided to have all clinical experience interns end their placements as of Friday, March 13, 2020. Pre-clinical interns should have completed 30 hours in their classroom. Midterm timesheets need to be verified and sent to OCEAR as required. Midterm timesheets were due by Friday, March 13, 2020. Details regarding verifying hours were provided in Director Grove’s email communication on Friday, March 13th. 

What if I don’t have 30 hours completed in my placement this semester?

Pre-clinical interns who were not able to complete 30 verified hours as of March 13th will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis to determine how to meet the required hours. Please contact the OCEAR if you did not complete the 30 hours, and please be sure your timesheet is submitted.

What if I didn’t have an opportunity to teach a lesson for my course?

Please speak to your course instructor regarding any course requirements that are connected to your clinical placement.

What about the required lesson observation and evaluation?

OCEAR will be communicating with your cooperating teacher and clinical supervisor regarding evaluations. We realize that some candidates taught a lesson and were observed while others were unable to do so. In coordination with your cooperating teacher and clinical supervisor, we will need one completed Observation & Conference Report evaluation. Again, arrangements for completion will be made on a case-by-case basis as we expect that most students have completed this requirement.

How many hours do I need to complete this semester? 

While NJDOE recognizes that these are unprecedented and unusual circumstances, for the benefit of our P-12 students they must hold to the standards of certification regulations. State regulations require 175 hours in Clinical Practice 1. There are various ways we can account for these hours. Delivering your OCEAR time sheet is critical so we can review completed hours as compared to state regulations. Please be sure that we have your timesheet turned in as soon as possible.

Should I participate in any e-learning planning or delivery with my cooperating teacher?

Yes! If you’re cooperating teacher provides you an opportunity to assist with any aspect of their distance learning, you are to work with them. These are difficult times for and we feel strongly that cooperating teachers can benefit from as much help as possible. You can offer to identify resources to assist with specific content or lessons, assist with planning, offer to review or grade assignments; any assistance is beneficial and will give you an opportunity to learn and grow. 

What if I didn’t have an opportunity to teach a lesson for my methods course?

Please speak to your course professor regarding any course requirements that are connected to your clinical placement.

What about the required lesson observations and evaluations?

By Friday, March 13th, we should have received two evaluations from your clinical supervisor and one from your cooperating teacher. OCEAR will communicate with your cooperating teacher and clinical supervisor regarding any additional evaluations and how they will be completed, if necessary.

What is the NJDOE requirement of weeks to complete this semester?

NJ state regulations state that clinical practice 2 must be one semester. While NJDOE recognizes that these are unprecedented and unusual circumstances, for the benefit of our P-12 students they must hold to the standards of certification regulations. In communication with NJDOE, we are seeking clarification on this guidance. As communicated in Director Grove’s Friday, March 13 email, you are asked to send a copy of your timesheet and completed weeks to this point in the semester. Being able to review your time to date in the classroom is key to evaluating your status. 

Should I participate in any e-learning planning or delivery with my cooperating teacher?

Yes! If you’re cooperating teacher provides you an opportunity to assist with any aspect of their distance learning, you are to work with them. These are difficult times and we feel strongly that cooperating teachers can benefit from as much help as possible. You have been involved with the lessons, students and classroom. Our goal is for you to continue do so. Many teacher candidates and cooperating teachers have communicated some outstanding collaborative efforts. Any time you continue to complete during distance learning will count toward semester requirements. If you have been told you are not able to assist with the distance learning curriculum, please reach out to Director Grove as soon as possible. While not ideal, and certainly unchartered territory, the current situation is presenting itself with an opportunity for learning, growth and experience none of us could have predicted at the beginning of the semester.

What if I haven’t submitted my edTPA yet?

You should communicate with your seminar instructor who will discuss next steps.  If you have completed your edTPA, or you have all of the video to complete your edTPA, but have not submitted it, please submit. The next submission date is Thursday, March 26th. 

What if I receive my edTPA score report and I need to resubmit?

While NJDOE recognizes that these are unprecedented and unusual circumstances, for the benefit of our P-12 students they must hold to the standards of certification regulations. Communication is continuing with NJDOE to identify next steps. You may also discuss this with your seminar instructor.  There are many reasons that you might be required to resubmit, and some of them can be remedied quickly.  It is important that you communicate with your seminar instructor in the case of a resubmission.

What about the required lesson observations and evaluations?

By Friday, March 13th, OCEAR should have received 3 Observation & Conference Report evaluations from your clinical supervisor and the midterm Clinical Competency Inventory (CCI) from both your supervisor and cooperating teacher. During distance learning, you should maintain weekly contact with your clinical supervisor. OCEAR will communicate with your cooperating teacher and clinical supervisor regarding additional evaluations and how they will be completed.

How do I contact OCEAR?  

If you have questions or concerns, contact Director Grove at

What is required in the first semester internship?

In consideration of the COVID-19 crisis, please note the following changes in our SHU/ELMP program requirements for each of the courses are related to this 2020 spring semester. 
ELMP 8981 (first semester) 

  • The number of hours required is 300.  
  • It is expected, however, that a significant number of hours can be accumulated by working remotely on various “administrative program experiences” (Letters A-J in the Manual), e.g. conversion of curriculum, instructional deliver methods to online instruction, research and data analysis, ‘School Improvement’ projects, technology, etc.   
  • The intern is expected to maintain communication with their SHU advisor. This intern/advisor communication must occur to ensure the completion of the required hours.  It is suggested that both the advisor and the intern both make the effort to connect as soon as possible to discuss the current status of the intern’s logged hours and the anticipated progress regarding the aforementioned work which can be done remotely.  
  • During this crisis, the advisor will not be required to visit schools but may communicate electronically as an acceptable alternative. 
  • Upon completion of the spring semester, grades should be recorded by the SHU advisor by communicating with Dr. Mel Katz who oversees the Administrative Internship Program.  
  • A letter signed by the school/district mentor verifying completion of 300 hours (or less as per the adjustments made on a case-by case basis) must be presented to the SHU advisor.  The advisor and intern should also review evidence of program experiences, logged hours, description of activities and reflections of those activities. 

Dr. Katz is the person to by contacted by SHU advisors and interns.  He will assist and support you in any way he possibly can.  His cell number is 914-536-4300.  In the event you cannot reach Dr. Katz, always feel free to contact me.  

What is required in the second semester internship? 
For the ELMP 8982 (second semester/program completion) internship, the following will apply: 

  • Typically, interns engage in 250 hours at their school/district during the second semester and 50 hours at the “Alternate Site”.  This approach may be adjusted according to the individual’s circumstance in accordance with an understanding between the advisor and mentor. 
  • A letter signed by the school/district mentor verifying completion of 600 hours (or less as per the adjustments made on a case-by case basis) must be presented along with the PORTFOLIO (including logged hours, evidentiary materials, reflections, etc. as per the program requirements).  The portfolio may be completed in an electronic format or a hard copy can be mailed to Dr. Katz at Seton Hall University. 
  • Dr. Katz is the person to by contacted by SHU advisors and interns.  He will assist and support you in any way he possibly can.  His cell number is 914-536-4300.  In the event you cannot reach Dr. Katz, always feel free to contact me.     

Everything mentioned above is contingent on what happens in future weeks.  We will make further decisions as the time, circumstances and directives of the CDC and New Jersey government officials and the SHU administration dictates. 
For questions, please contact the program director, Dr. Jim Corino at or by phone at 973-275-2356.

How do I manage my placement during this time?

PPFT student interns and externs must consult with their site supervisors regarding their sites' responses for the care of their population.  Your supervisors are responsible for the care of their clients/patients/students and you are part of the clinical/counseling team. Therefore, you must be aware of how your site manages the handling of the COVID-19 response, as well as your role in its process during this time.

What are my ethical and legal obligations regarding my site?

Student interns and externs must adhere to ethical and legal codes.  Mental health professionals across settings are ethically and legally bound to avoid client abandonment, and decisions that impact attendance on-site or work with clients must be approved by site supervisors, program faculty/clinical coordinators.

What if my site closed or is closing?

If an internship/externship site is closing, then the student must inform their SHU program director, clinical coordinator and clinical seminar instructor.

What do I do about supervised clinical experience hours if my site placement is disrupted?

Student interns/externs should discuss expectations for accruing training hours with their on-site supervisors should there be interruptions in service. If sites your site determines that Telehealth methods are appropriate (HIPAA or FERPA compliant), then please work closely with your supervisor and carefully review your relevant professions ethical codes and legal requirements.  
Indirect hours may be accrued under your supervisor’s direction in some of the following possible ways: 

  • Readings/Videos
  • Webinars
  • Case studies
  • Assessment protocol study
  • Psychological report writing 
  • Your clinical seminar instructor may consider class assignments for indirect hours as well.

What if I am very uncomfortable about being on site at this time? 

A student may be excused from a site, but only after appropriate transfer or termination protocols have been discussed and agreed upon with the site supervisor, clinical seminar instructor, the clinical coordinator and the program director. The intern/extern must enact the agreed upon sequence of clinical behaviors prior to leaving the site and the clients.  Any remaining internship or externship hours will need to be completed at a future time.

What if I cannot complete my hours before the end of the semester?

The PPFT clinical programs are actively engaged in supporting students as much as possible with their hour accrual. Students are encourage to stay connected with their site supervisors for potential training opportunities that might arise as each site implements their alternative method of mental health service delivery.  

Who do I contact if I have questions about internship or externship?

If you are part of the Online Professional Counseling or School Counseling programs, please contact Ms. Cristina Nicolau at If you are part of the following programs, please contact Dr. Peggy Farrelly at

  • Counseling Psychology PhD 
  • On-campus Counseling/Professional Counseling MA/EdS 
  • On-campus School Counseling MA 
  • Marriage & Family Therapy, MS 
  • School Psychology, MA/EdS

NOTE: This is subject to and likely to change over the upcoming weeks, as we learn more about community health measures and timelines of closures.

Working at Seton Hall

Who do I notify if I need to be out of work?

Employees should notify their supervisor and the Department of Human Resources at

Do I have to produce a doctor's note if I am unable to work because of illness?

Employees are not required to produce a doctor's note under these circumstances. In cases of temporary disability, additional documentation may be required. 

If I am in self-quarantine, am I expected to work from home?

Employees who are well enough to work during self-quarantine should consult with their supervisor.  If it's determined that you can work from home, but you don't have your laptop or materials, coordinate with your supervisor to arrange for delivery.  

What if I am at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19 according to CDC guidelines?

Employees should take reasonable precautions consistent with CDC guidelines and seek advice from your medical provider.

Employees may also  direct questions to the Department of Human Resources and Health Services.

What if I have fear or anxiety about COVID-19?

The University offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) which provides counseling services to employees.

Can I choose to work from home?

Employees are advised to work and meet remotely, or to work on a rotating schedule, if necessary and where feasible, and in consultation with their supervisor. This may not be possible for those employees whose presence on campus is necessary during this emergency situation.

Each division is initiating its plan consistent with remote working, business continuity needs, and the health and safety of each member of our community. Divisional vice presidents and their management teams will provide their employees with further guidance. 

Employees who need to retrieve work materials from their campus locations may do so. 

All Facilities and Business Affairs employees are asked to report on Monday, March 16 at their regular time to receive further direction regarding their assignments.

How do I fill out my timesheet if I'm not working due to illness or I'm unable to work during self-quarantine?

On your timesheet or leave report, enter SC2 for the appropriate days. 

How should employees on the biweekly payroll complete their timesheets?

Employees working on campus or remotely should fill out their timesheets as normal based on their established schedule. For full-time employees, 70 hours of regular time should be listed each pay period.

Employees who are sick during this time will use SC2 as the earn code or pay type/position in TimeClock Plus. This will ensure payment without reducing the employee’s sick leave balance. View TimeClock Plus instructions here »

As a Federal Work Study, how do I complete my timesheet?

The attached document contains instructions on how to complete your timesheet.

Are buildings on the South Orange campus open? 

Recommend that all buildings on South Orange campus be card access only 24/7 with the following exceptions: 

  • Corrigan Hall – 8am – 6pm, Monday – Friday 
  • Mooney Hall – 8:45am – 4:45pm, Monday – Friday 
  • University Center – 7am – 9pm – Sunday – Saturday  

The reasons for this: 

  • Security of our facilities and our personnel (we have very few people working in some buildings). 
  • Allow housekeeping to do more deep cleaning/sanitizing of more areas.  

Once approved, campus-wide email will advise all employees that their ID card will give them access to the building(s) they need.  If they are unsure they have the access they need, they may contact PS&S and access will be confirmed/provided.  In addition, if an employee arrives at a building and cannot access, PS&S can immediately give access and make necessary access adjustment going forward. 

*Details to follow for Law and IHS campuses.

Do I have access to medical and behavioral/mental health virtual care through my health plan with Cigna?

Yes, access to medical and behavioral/mental health virtual care is available. View more details on the Cigna Virtual Care flyer here »

Will there be prorated refunds for parking?

No decision has been made yet regarding prorated refunds for employee parking at any of the three campuses.  

University Events and Commencement

Are University Events, planned for later in the semester, still taking place? 

All University events for the Spring 2020 semester, both on campus and off-campus, will be canceled or rescheduled. Please check here for further details. 

Will the 2020 Baccalaureate Commencement ceremony, as well as graduate and law school graduation ceremonies still be held?

The 2020 Baccalaureate Commencement ceremony, as well as graduate and law school graduation ceremonies, have been postponed. The preexisting Commencement Committee(s), inclusive of student representatives, will help plan the appropriate ceremonies.  

Plans are underway to celebrate the undergraduate and graduate Class of 2020 with a remote recognition event in May. Soon graduating seniors will receive an online survey that will help the University stage an official in-person Commencement later this year. Graduate ceremonies and recognition activities, including those at the School of Law, are still being developed. Students fulfilling the necessary academic requirements will graduate and receive their diplomas, on time, regardless of when or how Commencement occurs. 

How will May 2020 graduates be affected in the event Seton Hall’s operations are disrupted?
The University is asking deans and faculty to provide solutions for seniors who — because of COVID-19 — find it difficult to complete their coursework. Undergraduate students who have completed all but six credits toward their degree may be able to walk in Commencement. Graduate students should work with their program directors on graduation requirements. 

Some students require experience in clinical settings for licensure. Some of our healthcare programs face the possibility of students’ rotations being reduced at a clinical site should any cases of COVID-19 be identified. Affected departments will address clinical course grading, completion requirements and the impact on graduation.

Are BIG EAST games and other athletics events still taking place?

The NCAA Basketball Tournament and all NCAA Spring Sport Championships have been cancelled. The BIG EAST Conference has also cancelled all spring sport seasons. Moving forward all home and away athletic events have been cancelled.

What is the Great Minds Forward Committee?

Seton Hall has established the Great Minds Forward committee, which is charged with envisioning the resumption of in-person activities, programs and classes. The committee is made up of individuals who represent each of the University's constituencies. More information will be made available in the coming weeks.

Back to top