Service On Saturdays
SOS is an opportunity to explore your passions through service, while meeting new friends and making connections with local agencies. The mission of SOS is to Serve the Community, Serve the University and Serve the Student.
For three Saturdays during the fall semester, groups of Seton Hall students will volunteer to participate in meaningful community outreach, providing an atmosphere where their gifts and talents will be used in order to better society.
By working with our community partners on various projects like painting, landscaping, tutoring, park and river clean-ups and assisting at the local food bank, we will be able to identify the needs of our neighbors while assessing how we can help.
Hoping to make a sustainable impact on our students well beyond their days at Seton Hall, SOS will provide them the opportunity to integrate their education with direct service to the community. Service on Saturdays celebrates Seton Hall's Catholic Mission by responding to the call to love our neighbors.
Registration for all three dates is currently available in the DOVE office.
- Registration forms for SOS must be completed IN PERSON at the Division of Volunteer Efforts (DOVE), located in Boland Hall 108. Additionally, a waiver will be provided by Team Leaders on the day of your participation.
- If you are under the age of 18, a hard copy of the SOS Waiver Form needs to be signed by a parent or guardian and submitted to DOVE prior to service.
- Be sure to sign up as soon as possible; each Saturday has limited space.
- Students can participate on multiple Saturdays if they desire.
- Once registered, please remember the supporting organizations are depending on your attendance.
- If you are volunteering with a group, please arrive 15 minutes early.
- Please dress appropriately based on the weather and the nature of each service project.
*To participate, you must be a current University student, or alum, and must use provided transportation.
SHU 500+ was founded in 1997 by Housing and Residence Life and DOVE to encourage the participation of students in community service. In an effort to make a more continuous and sustainable impact on our community, and to enhance the service experience of our students, SHU 500 is now Service on Saturdays, or SOS.
10 a.m. Check-In (Main Lounge)
10:30 a.m. Transported to Sites
11 a.m. - 2 p.m. Work at Sites
2:30 p.m. Return to Campus