The Center for Diaconal Formation is a resource center of information for those interested in learning more about the permanent diaconate, currently in formation or deacons pursuing post-ordination formation. Our library contains recommended books on the diaconate, links to official Church documents and websites and graduate-level educational resources offered through Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology.
- A Relational Identity for Deacon Spirituality By Ronald R. Rojas
- A Deacon's Retreat By James Keating
- Basic Norms for the Formation of Permanent Deacons By United States Catholic Conference
- Deacons and the Church By Owen Cummings
- National Directory for the Formation, Ministry, and Life of Permanent Deacons in the United States By United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Partners in the Process: Deacons' Wives By Karen A. Harmeyer and Maria Thompson MacLaughlin
- The Deacon Reader Edited By James Keating
- The Deacon at Mass By William T. Ditewig Ph.D.
- The Emerging Diaconate By William T. Ditewig, Ph.D.
- The Permanent Diaconate: Its History and Place in the Sacrament of Orders By Kenan B. Osborne, OFM
- Theology of the Diaconate By Owen F. Cummings, William T. Ditewig, and Richard R. Gaillardetz
- "A Special Occasion for New Jersey's Deacons" by Kimberly Mailley and Marcia Romanansky, Deacon Digest, March 2017
- "Wives of Newly Ordained Deacons Played Important Roles in Formation" by Cathy Stevens, Metuchen Catholic Spirit, June 1, 2017
Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology offers a wide selection of graduate-level courses, certificate and degree programs for deacons desiring post-ordination formation at a major seminary. Additional informational regarding our programs can be found in the links below.
- Basic Norms for the Formation of Permanent Deacons
- Documents, Information, Resources listed on the U.S. Conference of Bishops' Website
- The Deacon at Mass
- Sacrum Diaconatus Ordinem (Pope Paul VI)
- Deacons Serve the Kingdom of God (Pope John Paul II)
- Deacons Are Active Apostles of the New Evangelization (Pope John Paul II)
- Deacons Are Configured to Christ the Servant--30 November 1995 (Pope John Paul II)
- Deacons Are Called to a Life of Holiness--20 October 1993 (Pope John Paul II)
- The Deacon Has Many Pastoral Functions--13 October 1993 (Pope John Paul II)
- November 30, 2008: Jubilee Year of Saint Lawrence, Deacon (Pope Benedict XVI)
- February 7, 2008: Meeting with the Parish Priests and the Clergy of the diocese of Rome (Pope Benedict XVI)
- February 18, 2006: Address of His Holiness Benedict XVI to the Permanent Deacons of Rome (Pope Benedict XVI)
- The Permanent Diaconate: Its Identity, Functions, and Prospects (2000)
- Fr. Shawn McKnight (now bishop) and former Executive Director of the USCCB’s committee on Clergy, Consecrated Life and Vocations discusses the vocation to the diaconate