Counseling and Psychological Services
The Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides free year-round counseling, crisis intervention, consultation, and referral services to the SHU community. Our mission is to foster the psychological health and well-being of our students in order to enable them to thrive, develop, and achieve academic success. More »
In Case of Emergency
- During regular office hours (Monday-Friday 8:45 a.m.- 4:45 p.m.) call (973) 761-9500 or walk-in to CAPS in Mooney Hall (second floor, room 27) to speak with an on-call counselor. Do not use e-mail in an emergency situation.
- After Hours and on weekends, students experiencing a psychological emergency should call CAPS at 973-761-9500 to speak directly with a professional mental health counselor.
- If you are having serious thoughts of killing yourself or hurting someone else go to the nearest Emergency Room or call 911.
Call or Text a free and confidential crisis line
- National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-TALK(8255) - suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Crisis Text Line – Text START to 741-741
- NJ HopeLine 1-855-654-6735
- Samaritans Confidential Hotline 212- 673-3000
- Addictions Hotline 1-888-984-0363 - 24houraddictionhelp.org
- Sexual Assault Hotline - 800-656-HOPE (4673) – RAINN.org
- The Trevor Lifeline (Suicide Prevention for LGBTQI+ Youth)
866-4-U-TREVOR (1-866-488-7386) -www.thetrevorproject.org
How to Make a Counseling Appointment
Individual and Group Therapy
All students, including undergraduate, graduate, law, and seminary students, are eligible for direct services. Direct services include group counseling and therapy as well as individual short-term counseling. More »
CAPS is located on the second floor of Mooney Hall, room 27. Stop by or call us during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. or call (973) 761-9500 to schedule an appointment.