Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
Students walking in a neighborhood off-campus.

Finding Help Off-Campus

CAPS provides short-term counseling to students. Students in need of longer-term, or more specialized care, can use the links below to help locate a mental health provider or additional support in their area. If you need additional help in locating mental health services, please contact us. 

The Shrink Space is a referral service Seton Hall University has partnered with to help students connect with off-campus mental health providers. Search for local Seton Hall community providers or access their nationwide directory to find therapists, psychiatrists and treatment facilities, who meet your particular needs. Visit their student FAQ guide and college mental health blog for more information on what to expect during a first session, navigating your insurance, and how to assess if the therapist is a good fit for you. 

To search for a provider: 

  1. Create an account by clicking this link: The Shrink Space. Please note that creating an account is confidential and the university and CAPS are not notified that you have done so. 
  2. After you have created an account, you can search for providers by putting in the SHU zip code (07079) or your home zip code. 
  3. Once the list of providers generates, select the ‘More’ filter and select Seton Hall University to search providers near campus. 
  • If searching for a provider near your home, select the ‘More’ filter and select a distance from your home that is comfortable for you.

Psychology Today is a comprehensive directory of therapists, psychiatrists and treatment facilities in your area.

MiResource has a guide to learn how your insurance and other payment methods work when accessing mental healthcare.

Critical Mental Health Resources for College Students provides college students and young people with quality information on maintaining good mental health and identifying mental health issues.

Cultural Therapy connects people who belong to racially and ethnically diverse groups with culturally affirming mental health providers who understand their unique histories and needs.

Identity House is a non-profit, all-volunteer, organization that provides Peer Counseling, Group Support, and Therapy Referrals to members of the LGBTQ community who are struggling with issues of sexuality, gender identity, alienation, relationships, and family.

The Pride Center of New Jersey provides comprehensive programming, which fosters the health and well-being of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and questioning (LGBTIQ) community. Several support groups are offered.

The National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) Helpline is available Monday-Thursday from 9AM to 9PM ET, and Friday from 9AM to 5PM ET. Contact the Helpline at (800) 931-2237 for support, resources and treatment options for yourself or a loved one.

The Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator through SAMHSA is a confidential and anonymous source of information for persons seeking treatment facilities in the United States or U.S. Territories for substance use/addiction and/or mental health problems.

SHU - Providing for Our Students' Basic Needs
Helping to meet the basic needs of our students has a direct impact on the overall well-being and their ultimate academic success. That is the purpose of this website – to connect students with the resources, both on-campus and off-campus, to help them when they need it.

Back to top