Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
Students walking to class on campus

Quick Facts

Why do I fill out an intake form?
When you arrive for your intake, we will ask you to fill out an intake form. This form asks background information that is helpful to your counselor. No one outside of The Counseling and Psychological Services Center  has access to this information without your written permission.

How does counseling work?
Counseling is not something that is done to you, nor will your counselor tell you what to do. Working with a counselor can be hard work but counseling provides an opportunity for you to learn more about yourself. University Counselors can use different forms of therapy, like relaxation or meditation, as well as more traditional forms of counseling. Remember, the more you put into your counseling sessions, the more you get out of them.

Who finds out about these sessions?
Your visits to The Counseling and Psychological Services Center  are confidential. No one outside of our office finds out information that you have revealed to your counselor—or even knows that you had an appointment. Visits are not a part of your official college record. Any exceptions to this rule are listed on the Client Informed Consent form.

Suppose I have to cancel an appointment?
If you do, please let us know when you know! By canceling an appointment in advance, you will allow us to utilize the time to provide counseling services to another student. Also, please remember to arrive on time for your appointment.

How long are the sessions?
Typically, the sessions run 45-50 minutes for individual counseling and group counseling sessions.

How often will I be seen?
Group counseling occurs weekly. Frequency of individual counseling sessions varies according to need and availability.

How much does counseling cost?
Services are free to all eligible SHU students.

How long will I be in counseling?
Counseling and Psychological Services provides only short-term individual counseling. The exact number of sessions is determined by the counselor and student following an intake assessment. Most students complete individual counseling in less than six sessions. When a student requires longer term treatment, the staff at CAPS will work with the student to locate a provider off-campus. Students may obtain longer term counseling by participating in a counseling group when referred by a staff member.

Suppose I don't feel comfortable with my counselor?
If this happens, please discuss this in your session. The issue may be resolved during the session or your counselor can help you switch to a different counselor.

Who are my counselors?
All of your counselors are doctoral level professionals and master’s and doctoral students working under the direct supervision of a senior staff member.

Suppose I have a psychological crisis?
If you are having a psychological emergency, you can come in or contact our office located in Mooney Hall Rm. 27; (973) 761-9500 during normal business hours (8:45 a.m. –4:45 p.m.).  After hours in case of psychological emergency, call CAPS at (973) 761-9500 to speak with a professional mental health counselor. *If you or a friend are having serious thoughts of killing yourself or hurting someone else go to the nearest Emergency Room or call 911.

Does anyone care what I think?
Everyone at The Counseling and Psychological Services Center  does! Your opinion matters a lot to us. During two three-week periods (in the Fall and in the Spring) we will ask you to provide us with feedback anonymously through our Client Satisfaction Survey. Please feel free to share your thoughts about how we may improve services to you at any other time as well by talking to your counselor or to any of the staff.

Back to top