College of Communication and the Arts Logo


Graduate Studies follows all University policies as outlined in the University's Graduate Catalogue. Brief summaries to critical polices are available below. Please consult the University's Graduate Catalogue for all academic policies and procedures.

Academic Integrity

Cheating and plagiarism in any form will not be tolerated in any Communication and the Arts course and will be dealt with severely. Cheating on any test, paper, or other project will, at the discretion of the instructor, result in failure for that assignment, no-credit [zero] for that assignment, failure for the course, and/or further disciplinary action at the program, College, and/or University levels. Such further action may include expulsion from the College of Communication and the Arts after review.

The College of Communication and the Arts' policy defines academic dishonesty as including, but not limited to, cheating on tests and other course assignments and providing or receiving information without acknowledging the source. Cheating by plagiarism includes, but is not limited to, copying of text or research assignments, using another person's papers, research or assignments without citation, and representing work as the student's own, which is, in actuality, another's work.


Students enrolled in a degree program are required to register each Fall and Spring semester until all requirements for the degree are satisfied. Failure to register without being granted a leave of absence is interpreted as a resignation from the program.

Grade Appeal Process

Students have a right to appeal grades which they feel reflect a biased or inaccurate assessment of their work. Students should keep in mind, however, that once a grade is called into question, it can be adjusted in any direction. Graduate students must first bring the dispute to the instructor and then their respective program director. The decision of the program director with regard to the substance of the disputed grade is final. If a student feels, however, that proper procedures have not been followed, the matter may be taken up with the Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies & Administration.

Graduate Probation, Suspension, and Dismissal

A grade point average of 3.0 is the minimum requirement for satisfactory degree completion at the graduate level. Students who earn a grade point average below a 3.0 in any term or who have accumulated two "C" grades or one "F" grade are subject to review by appropriate faculty and administration to determine future standing. To ensure students remain eligible for their degree, mechanisms such as graduate probation, suspension, and dismissal are in place.

Students on graduate probation must receive clearance from the Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies & Administration in order to register for future terms. Suspension constitutes removal from the University for a stipulated period. Dismissal constitutes permanent separation from the University. Dismissal and suspension are based on the student's unsatisfactory academic progress. Dismissed and suspended students are considered not in good standing with the University and are not eligible for registration nor financial aid.


Normally an Incomplete (I) is issued when there is a significant reason warranting one (e.g., death, illness, unusual and unforeseen circumstances that normally involve sickness or a family member hardship that can be supported by documentation). An unresolved "I" grade may also impact the student's eligibility for financial aid and academic standing when it changes to an "FI" grade, as an "FI" grade affects both the grade point average and the credit completion ratio.

Leave of Absence

A student who is unable to attend the University during a regular semester because of illness, family emergency, extraordinary job requirements, military service or other factors may be granted a leave of absence without penalty. The student must submit a written request for a leave to their respective program director and the Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies & Administration. Upon return to the University, the student must request reinstatement in writing to the Assistant Dean, who will consult with the program's faculty.

Time Limit for Master Degree Students

Generally, candidates for all master's degrees are expected to fulfill all requirements for the degree within six years after they have been formally accepted. 

For further information regarding Graduate Studies' academic policies, please contact Dr. Ryan Hudes.

Back to top