All applications for admission received by the deadline are considered for any available College-level scholarship opportunities. When funding is available and a student is eligible, notification about a scholarship is communicated in writing.
Dean's Graduate Scholarships
Students who submit their application by the priority application deadline (May 1 for the Fall semester and November 1 for the Spring semester) are automatically considered for any available internal scholarship funding, including a Dean's Graduate Scholarship. Recipients of this scholarship are determined based on academic merit (cumulative grade point average and standardized test performance) and demonstrated need (based on submitted FAFSA). Those students selected for a Dean's Graduate Scholarship will be notified of award details and eligibility criteria within three weeks of the priority deadline.
Recipients of the Dean's Graduate Scholarship are expected to actively participate in community-building initiatives within Graduate Studies. Opportunities for student leadership within the Graduate Studies include the Graduate Student Association and mentorship programs for rising BA/MA Communication and Museum Professions students. Selected students are also expected to maintain a 3.0 grade point average and successfully complete at least six credits during each eligible term.
For more information about the Dean's Graduate Scholarship, please contact Dr. Ryan Hudes.
Admitted and deposited students are encouraged to apply for a Graduate Assistantship. For more details, click here for the most recent job posting.
In addition to any College-level scholarships, admitted students are welcome to apply for a graduate assistantship. Each academic year, the University offers a limited number of assistantships for graduate students. These scholarships pay full tuition for a certain number of credits per semester and provide a monthly stipend. In exchange, the graduate assistant is required to work 20 hours per week, produce quality deliverables, and maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or better.
Assistantships are renewable - contingent upon satisfactory performance and supervisor recommendation - for subsequent academic years, depending on program length.
To locate available assistantships on-campus, visit the University's Graduate Assistantship Database. Assistantship opportunities are posted to the database when available (generally the semester prior to enrollment). Interested students can use the system's "Job Alert" function to be notified via email when a new assistantship opportunity is posted.
Please note, assistantships are offered by various areas within the University and a student must be formally admitted to a graduate-level program to be considered. Once an application is submitted using the system, a faculty member or administrator from the respective University area will complete the selection process.
External Fellowship and Scholarships
The following resources contain information about available fellowship and scholarship opportunities. Please note, these databases are maintained by other institutions.
- University of Rochester Fellowships/Awards Database
- Cornell University Fellowship Database
- UCLA Graduate and Postdoc Funding Database
Communication and the Arts External Opportunities
- Cooper Hewitt - Smithsonian Institution Summer Internship Grant
- Smithsonian Institute Fellowship Opportunities
- The Getty Foundation Grants and Fellowships
- Archives of American Art Internship and Fellowship Program
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Grants, Fellowships, and Internships
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art Fellowships
- American Museum of Natural History Grants
- American Numismatic Society/Frances M. Schwartz Fellowship
- The Graham Foundation Carter Manny Award
- Jacob K. Javits Fellowships Program
- Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago - Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellowship
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) - Graduate Scholarships
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists - Ruben Salazar Scholarship
- Overseas Press Club (OPC) Foundation - Journalism Scholarships
Apply Online Here
Begin or continue your online application.