Skip to Content
College of Communication and the Arts Logo
mcnulty hall

Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Admissions

The following frequently asked questions refer to the College of Communication and the Arts' graduate programs of study.  For information about programs outside of the College of Communication and the Arts, please consult with the University's Office of Graduate Affairs.

What are your application deadlines?

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis for the Fall and Spring semesters and completed entirely online.  For priority review - including consideration for available Dean's Graduate Scholarships - applicants should submit complete applications and all supporting materials by July 1 (Fall semester) and November 1 (Spring semester).  Extensions to the Priority Deadlines sometimes occur and these updates are communicated via emailApplications for the Fall are due no later than August 1 and December 1 for the Spring. 

Please note, the fall semester begins in late-August and the Spring semester begins in early-January.  Consequently, applications are not considered after August 1 or December 1 for the Fall and Spring semesters, respectively.

Do I need to submit my application and additional materials at the same time?

Applicants are welcome to submit their online application and supplementary materials at separate times.  As each item is received, it is added to an applicant's file.

Do you have any advice for writing a personal statement?

Yes!  Applicants are strongly encouraged to review our Personal Statement Suggestions and Tips.

Additionally, if an applicant applies to our Dual M.A. Communication and M.A. Diplomacy and International Relations program, please note that successful appplicants ensure that all required supplemental application materials (e.g. personal statement, resume, and letters of recommendation) appropriately reference the candidate's interest in both programs.

What is Seton Hall's ETS institutional code for score reports?

When requesting materials be sent to Seton Hall, please reference 2811 as the institutional code.

How long does it take to receive a decision?

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.  The Advisory Committee typically reviews applications within two to three weeks of receiving all materials.

What GRE or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) score does the Advisory Committee look for?

A comprehensive review of an applicant's complete application and all supporting materials is completed by the Advisory Committee.  Ideally, scores place an applicant in the 50th percentile or higher across the sections.  Generally a minimum 4.0 writing score on the GRE is required.

What scholarships are available?

For information, please review the Scholarships section of the Graduate Studies microsite.

What GPA does the Advisory Committee look for?

A comprehensive review of an applicant's complete application and all supporting materials is completed by the Advisory Committee.  The average applicant's cumulative GPA is a 3.0 or higher; with a higher GPA in a student's major.

Do you accept test scores other than the GRE?

Yes, we accept the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) in addition to the Graduate Record Exam. 

Can I request a waiver for the required test scores?

An applicant may request a waiver for the GRE/MAT test requirement if one of the following two conditions is met: (1) overall undergraduate grade point average is 3.4 (on a 4-point scale) or higher; or (2) applicant has completed a master's level degree from an accredited institution and achieved a 3.0 (on a 4-point scale) or higher.

To be considered for a waiver, please send a written request via email to Ms. Brittany Scoles. The transcript(s) included with an applicant's application will be considered as part of the waiver process. Students granted a waiver will receive written confirmation.

Can I request an application fee waiver?

Yes, an applicant may request an application fee waiver by completing and submitting the request form.

Can I apply to start in the summer session?

No, applications are accepted for the Fall and Spring semesters only.  Courses are offered during the summer sessions, but new students begin programs in either the Fall or Spring.

Do I need to submit an official transcript?

Yes, an official transcript from each institution attended is required to be submitted.

How do I submit an official transcript?

We accept official transcripts via postal mail or as e-transcripts.  Please inquire with your institution to determine if it offers an official e-transcript.  If an official e-transcript is available, please request it be sent by the institution directly to shugrad@shu.eduNote: the Admissions Committee does not accept e-transcripts sent via email from applicants - the official transcript must be sent securely by your institution.

If your institution only sends official transcripts via postal mail, please address it to:

Seton Hall University
Graduate Admissions
400 South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ  07079

I graduated from Seton Hall.  Do I need to submit an official transcript?

If you graduated from Seton Hall, your transcript should be on file and it will be retrieved internally.  If, however, it cannot be retrieved for any reason, an applicant will be contacted and instructed to request an official copy from the Office of the Registrar.

Do you accept transfer graduate credit?

Applicants may request up to six credits be transferred to a graduate program.  For a master's program, credits can only be considered if they haven't been applied to a previously earned degree program.  All requests for advance standing must be accompanied by: (1) an official transcript as part of the application process and (2) a course description from the prior university's course catalogue.  Once both are received, each course will be evaluated for curriculum applicability and written confirmation of accepted transfer credits will be sent.

If I'm accepted, how much time do I have to respond to the admissions offer?

A student has four (4) weeks from the date of acceptance to reserve their place in an academic program.  Securing enrollment is a two-step process that involves the completion of an online Intent to Enroll form and the submission of a non-refundable tuition deposit.  Instructions for completing both steps are included in an applicant's acceptance package.

I was denied admission to the program.  Can you tell me why?

Unfortunately, the Advisory Committee cannot provide additional details as to its decision regarding an application.  Typically, a successful applicant's profile demonstrates their potential to study at the graduate-level and includes a grade point average of 3.0 or higher, GRE/MAT scores in the 50th percentile or higher, a well-written personal statement, and noteworthy letters of recommendation.

My plans changed.  Can I defer my application or my acceptance?

Applicants and accepted students may defer their application/acceptance for up to a maximum of one (1) academic year.  Following this period, the student will need to complete and submit a new application for admission.  Please note, any scholarship offers are not transferrable to future semesters.

When is Orientation?

Orientation is held in advance of the Fall and Spring semesters, that is, typically in August and early January.  Accepted students are expected to attend and will be extended an invitation via email.  Prior to attending Orientation, please review the Next Steps for Admitted Students for additional information.

Is on-campus housing available for graduate students?

Currently, Seton Hall does not guarantee on-campus housing for graduate students.  However, please check with Housing and Residence Life regarding opportunities for graduate students.  In addition, many students live in South Orange or surrounding areas such as Maplewood, Millburn, Montclair or West Orange.

I have a question not listed on this page.

For all other graduate admissions-related questions, please contact Ms. Brittany Scoles by email or phone at (973) 761-9490.

Back to top