Seton Hall University has been recognized as the best college in America for Christmas. And that’s not just because of our breakfast with Santa, our Christmas tree lighting or the myriad of other holiday events that make the campus shine even brighter every December. It’s also because each year at this time, Seton Hall unites in the spirit of Christmas to give back to the community.
Our 12 Acts of Christmas Kindness is not just a tradition of giving started here at Seton Hall, but part of a wider movement of servant leadership gaining ground across America. The campaign encourages those in the Seton Hall community to perform 12 acts of kindness throughout the holiday season. As you perform these acts, help inspire others by sharing your Christmas Kindness stories and photos on social media using #hallchristmas.
How You Can Give Back and Volunteer
Here are some examples of simple ways you can give of your heart this Christmas – some of which you can perform right here on campus. Feel free to do any of these or to come up with your own:
- Make a donation to the University’s Division of Volunteer Efforts (DOVE)
- Donate to, or volunteer for, DOVE’s toy and food drives
- Purchase a pair of socks for the homeless and support Seton Hall student Jeremy Garriga's initiative, Soxcess (coming soon)
- Join our alumni in Wreaths Across America
- Write your mom and dad a thank you note for all they have done for you
- Send Christmas cards to soldiers overseas through the Red Cross
- Donate blood
- Volunteer at your local homeless shelter
- Pick up trash you see in the street
- Help an elderly person or a parent with small children load their groceries into their car
- Bring a cup of coffee for the local gas station attendant
- Pay the toll for the car behind you on the highway
- Walk the dogs at a local animal shelter (and pet the kitties)
DOVE will collecting toys now through Dec. 19. Toys donated by Dec. 10 will be wrapped and delivered to all locations; toys received later will be delivered unwrapped, locally.
- Toys collected at our tree lighting Dec. 5
- Toy wrapping party Dec. 12
- Local toy deliveries: Dec. 13 - Dec. 19 (Don Bosco Youth Center, South Orange Maplewood School District, St. John’s Soup Kitchen, North Star Academy in Newark)
- Toy delivery to children in West Virginia: Van departs on Dec. 14, Christmas party with Santa in West Virginia on Dec. 16