Registration Information


Download a printable version of this information »

Important Information about Fall 2015 Registration:
  Dates, Procedures, Holds

Fall 2015 registration extends from March 23 – April 17.  Fall add-drop period ends on September 8, 2015.

Please consultthe Undergraduate and Graduate registration schedule for specific days and times. During the March-April registration period, undergraduate registration time slots are assigned based on your last name and your credit count (including in progress courses); registration for all graduate students begins on March 25.

In-Person Registration for undergraduates in Bayley Hall runs from March 26 – April 1 and April 6 - 17; graduate students may register in person from April 6 – 10.    In-Person registration is offered as an option for those students who cannot or choose not to register online. In-Person registration requires that you bring your signed grid sheet to the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall. If you need to register for a closed course, present your signed add/drop form in person during the In-Person Registration period, but register for all other courses online. 

Online registration is open to all students for schedule adjustments:
  April 18 – September 8 at any time except for Sunday mornings from 12:01 a.m. – 7:00 a.m.

Special Instructions for Graduate Continuing Non-Matriculated Students
If you are in a certificate program, contact your adviser in your college to get your PIN and to secure  course approval.  If you are a non-matriculated graduate student, you should contact an adviser in the department in which you are studying for advisement and course approval. The adviser can give you your PIN, or you may present a signed grid at the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall to register and/or to get your PIN. (Reminder: new PINs are generated for summer and fall registration; your Spring 2015 PIN will not work for  fall or summer registration.  Fall and Summer 2015 PINs begin with a  ‘3’.)

Online Registration for graduate students begins on  March 25.   
  In-Person Registration: April 6 – 10 from 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.  Bring your signed grid sheet to the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall.

Senior Citizens and Au Pairs
  Senior citizens and au pairs may register on August 28 from 9:00 a.m. through 3:00 p.m. or at any time thereafter through September 8.  

  Students who wish to audit a course at the audit declaration rate may register on August 27  at the Fall 2015 In-Person Registration session or at any time thereafter  through September 2.  

Reminder:   Registration eligibility is contingent on academic and financial eligibility.  Students with academic holds must receive clearance from their dean; students with financial holds must be cleared by Student Financial Services.   In compliance with New Jersey State law, matriculated students who entered in Spring 2015 must present required immunization documentation to Health Services in order to register.
                      Contact Health Services at (973) 761-9175 for information and assistance.


How Do I Register?

Step One:  See your adviser and prepare your schedule.

Make an appointment to see your adviser/mentor  well in advance of when you will be registering.  Working with your adviser is the key  to successful registration and program planning.  Your adviser will provide you with all the information you need to review your academic progress in your program and to select your courses.

In consultation with your adviser, prepare your schedule.  Use the Course Search process within Banner self-service to identify the courses you want to take.  Make sure to note the CRN (Course Registration Number) for your classes;  you must use that number when you register online.  In the event that some of your courses are closed, develop a list of alternative selections.   Double check your worksheet to make sure that you have recorded the CRNs correctly to avoid registering for the wrong courses.

Also check for any registration holds and follow up as needed to resolve them well in advance of your registration.

The following information provides contact points for registration holds:


        HOLD   TYPE


Health   Services - Immunization

Health   Services – immunization problem

PrePay   Tuition and Fees
        Bursar   Balance Due

Must   pay past-due balance and/or prepay for next semester.

Bad   Address

Contact   Bursar’s Office after updating address

Outside   Collection Agency or
        Outside   Letter Collection Service or Return Check Hold



Bursar’s Office, Bayley Hall

Non-Matric   Credit Maximum

Registrar   in Bayley Hall; non-matriculated students who have accrued the maximum number   of credits  (18 credits at the   undergrad level and 12 at the graduate level) must file for admission to a   program or seek a waiver if they do not plan to pursue a degree at Seton   Hall..

75   credits – Declare Major

Undeclared   major – Must declare major.
        Consult   your adviser; Registrar in Bayley Hall can remove hold upon declaration of   major.

Change   Major

Must   change major; Registrar will remove hold when major has been changed.

Academic   – Arts and Sciences

Mr.   Michael Dooney/ Arts and Sciences (graduate students)
        Dr.   Christopher Kaiser/ Arts & Sciences (undergrad students)

Academic   –  Business

Dr.   Karen Passaro / School of Business

Academic   –  Education

Dr.   Joseph Martinelli/College of Education   & Human Services

Academic  - Nursing

Dr.   Marcia Gardner/ College of Nursing

Academic   – Diplomacy

Dr.   Courtney Smith/ School of Diplomacy

Academic   – Health & Med Sci

Program   Director / School of Health & Med   Sci

Academic   - Theology

Rev.Christopher   Ciccarino/School of Theology (grad   students)
        Rev.   Douglas Milewski/ School of Theology (undergrads)

Disciplinary   Suspension

Karen   Van Norman/Community Development

Contact   EOP Counselor

Contact   EOP Counselor for review/clearance


Students with financial holds should work on resolving their balances immediately. Delaying registration until January may eliminate options for resolution of payment/financial aid difficulties.  Your registration may then be prohibited unless full payment is made before registration.

Your mentor/adviser will also give you your registration PIN.  Remember:  the ONLY way to get your PIN is to contact your adviser. A new   Fall 2015 PIN was generated for you; your old PIN will not work.  Note: Fall 2015 PINs begin with  the number 3; if you get a PIN that begins with any other number, this PIN is old and will not work. Follow up with your adviser to get the new Fall 2015 PIN.

Step Two:  Find out when you register.
  Consult the Registration Schedule available online to determine your assigned time for online registration.  If you are unable to register online during your assigned time, you may register online at any time thereafter or you may register in person. See the Registration Schedule for the days and times for in person registration. Note: Banner Self Service  will be available for open registration and add-drop for Fall 2015 as of December 1.

Step Three:  Access the Web Registration System
  Make sure that you have your course list with CRNs at hand along with your registration PIN, which you received from your adviser

  1. Login to PirateNet; in the Navigation module on the far left, click on the Registration Tools link; select  Add or Drop Classes.  Select Fall 2015 as the term, and enter your new registration PIN as your Alternate PIN.
  2. Enter the CRNs of your classes in the Add Classes Worksheet. Remember to press Submit Changes to record your registration request.  If you do not press this button, you will not be registered for your classes. Your schedule will appear; check it for accuracy. 
  3. Changing your schedule: If you need to modify your schedule by dropping a course, pull down the options in the action column for the course.  Highlight  Drop on Web - then press Submitto process the drop.  If you don’t press the Submit button after entering a drop action, you will remain in the course. To add a class, enter its CRN in the Add Classes Worksheet box.  Press Submit to record your add request.

To look up classes: Click on the Look Up Classes option within the Registration Tools box.  Select Fall 2015 from the Term menu. Select the Advanced Search  option on the bottom right.  Using the pull-down option, select the subject if you are seeking courses in a specific discipline.  Also enter the course number if you are looking for sections of a specific course.  You can also search by campus, course level, instructor, meeting day(s) and times, and course attribute.

Some registrations require advance authorization.  You cannot register on the web for an independent study course, for a closed course, or for a course which has a meeting time that conflicts with another course.  Register online for those courses which are open and available.

Wait lists
  Some courses have wait lists; these classes will appear with a maximum number > 0 in the wait list column of the class listing.  If you want to put your name on a wait list for a course that has an online wait list, simply follow the prompts and add your name.

Important information regarding wait lists:

  • There is no guarantee that you will actually secure a seat in the class just because you have signed up for the wait list. Develop some alternative options in case a seat does not become available.
  • The wait list notification process is automatic  and requires timely response/action.  If a seat opens up in a closed course which has students on its wait list,  the first student on the wait list receives an automated email from advising him that he can go online and register for the class.  Students who receive these messages must follow through in registering for the class by the deadline that appears      in the message (72 hours). If the student does not register for the class within 72 hours, he no longer has the option to claim the seat. The next student on the wait list receives an email with the notification that he  can register for the class.   

When there is no wait list posted for a course, you can contact the department chair (for business, contact the Student Information Office; for Diplomacy, contact the Associate Dean) if you are seeking admission to a closed course (or if you have a time conflict or have a problem with a prerequisite).  Make sure that you have secured the necessary signatures on an add-drop form.  

Permits for closed courses. To register for an independent study or closed course (where there is no wait list)  or to resolve a similar registration problem, contact the department chairperson to seek approval for a permit. A permit will allow you to register online for a course that requires departmental approval.

If you experience problems in registering online, call the Registrar’s Office at (973) 761-9374.

Step Four:  Update your personal data
  Remember to review your personal data on the web and make any corrections which may be needed. Critical updates include address changes and next-of-kin (emergency contact) information.

Step Five:  Pay tuition by due date
  Please pay your bill by the payment due date.  Check online within Banner Self-Service for your billing details; bills are no longer mailed, so you must review your account online.   Contact the Bursar’s Office in Bayley Hall with any payment questions.  Payment by the due date is necessary to avoid the assessment of a late fee.   Note: you can pay your bill by credit card online or by electronic check on-line. A courtesy fee of 2.75 percent is charged for credit card payments, with a minimum courtesy fee of $3.

Registration Reminder:  You will not be able to register if you have an unresolved financial balance on your account.  Please clear your account with timely payment well in advance to insure registration eligibility. Contact Bursar’s Office  in Bayley Hall with any questions, or call 973-761-9326.

Changing your Schedule: Add/Drop Procedures

Using your PIN, you may adjust your schedule online within Student Self Service.  Be sure to consult your adviser regarding course changes.

For In-Person schedule adjustments, obtain an add-drop form from your adviser or the Registrar’s Office in Bayley Hall.  Complete and secure your adviser’s signature if adding a course or changing a course.  Drops do not need an adviser’s signature, nor do changes of sections.  Submit form to the Registrar’s Office for  data entry before the end of the add/drop period.

Special Cautions Regarding Add/Drop:

  • Due date for bills is not altered by changes to schedule.  If credits are dropped, deduct appropriate tuition from bill.  If credits are added, due date for original courses remains constant.  Your bill can be viewed on-line to see updates.
  • Dropping all courses constitutes a total withdrawal from the University.  See procedure for total withdrawal from the University.
  • Dropping below full-time status (minimum of 12 credits)  will affect the financial aid award for undergraduates.  Check first with the Student Financial Services in Bayley Hall.
  • Non-attendance does not constitute a drop or withdrawal.  The student is financially and academically responsible for the timely completion of correct schedule adjustment procedures.

Withdrawing Academically from a Course

After September 8, 2015,  the last day of the add-drop period, you can only withdraw academically from a course which you are unable or unwilling to complete.  Withdrawal forms are available in the Office of the Registrar. Please read the section on refund policy for total withdrawal for important information.  Students wishing to withdraw from all of their courses should follow procedures regarding ‘Total Withdrawal from the University’ outlined below. Students who withdraw from one or more courses but remain actively registered for any other course during the term are ineligible for any credit or refund.

Pass/Fail Option

Undergraduate students may take up to 12 credits in free electives on a Pass/Fail basis.  The student is limited to 6 credits in any 12-month period.  Students must file a Course Adjustment Form with their dean to apply for the Pass/Fail option (or to retract this option) within the first 5 weeks of class (or the first third of course meetings in summer session).  Pass/Fail courses are restricted to free electives.  A pass grade is used in determining class standing and eligibility but is not used in computing grade point average.

Audit Policy

Students who wish to audit may enroll in courses for which they are qualified, but they may be dropped by the professor if their presence impedes normal class progress.  Auditors are expected to attend class regularly, but are not obligated to take tests or meet other course requirements.  The designation of AU is noted on the transcript but it is not used in determining class standing, eligibility or grade point average.  The following Audit options are available:

Option 1: Students who register for credit may request change from credit to audit status during the first five weeks of the fall/spring semesters and by the second class meeting in Summer session by completing a Course Adjustment Form available in Bayley Hall.  Full tuition and fees are charged.

Option 2:  Students who declare audit status at the time of registration (before billing) and complete an Audit Declaration form may be eligible for reduced tuition of $100 per credit, plus University fees.  This form is available in the Office of the Registrar in Bayley Hall  and must be completed each time audit status is requested.

Audit Declaration is not allowed in any closed course, nor is any audit option permitted in any of the following course categories: computer and computer-based courses, applied art (AART and ADIM), applied music (MUAP), photography, graphics (COGR), honors courses (HONS), studio courses, physical education courses, museum professions courses, writing courses, independent study and research courses, off-campus courses, online courses, laboratory courses and ESL classes.  This policy also applies to senior citizen auditors. Audit declaration is restricted to registration periods which immediately precede the start of the term and the ensuing add-drop period. You may not file an audit declaration during preregistration.

Audit courses may be dropped within the standard add-drop period.  In this case, students will not be charged for the course; the University fee is not refundable and must be paid in full.  There is no refund when students withdraw from an audited course; tuition and fees must be paid in full.

The completed Audit Declaration form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office at the time of registration with the signed grid sheet.  This audit request is valid at the time of current registration; it is not retroactive and cannot be changed to credit status.

The Audit Declaration tuition reduction cannot be combined with any other reduced tuition rate. The greater tuition reduction will apply.

Financial Information


Electronic bills (eBills) will be available on Banner Self-Service in early December; printed bills are no longer mailed, so you must review your account online.   Students will receive an email from the Bursar’s Office; it will direct them to view their account online and will provide billing and payment information.    Fall 2015 payment is due on August 2, 2015.

Students who register after the November registration period should view their bills on-line and submit payment immediately. The University reserves the right to require advance payment for any late registrations.  

Payment must be received by August 2, 2015 for pre-registered students to avoid assessment of a late fee. These students must review their charges on-line and submit payment immediately.   Late payments are subject to a $250 late fee.

Credit card payments  may also be made online through Banner Student Self Service. Please note that a courtesy fee of 2.75 percent of the amount charged will be assessed. Students may also pay online by electronic check (eCheck); no additional fee is charged for eCheck payments.

Note:  The Student Financial Services helpline answers all questions regarding payment and charges.  Please call 800-222-7183.

Financial Aid
All approved financial aid will be posted to students’ accounts online.  If an award does not appear, contact Student Financial Services in Bayley Hall and/or the source of the award(s) to determine how to document your financial aid. No undocumented awards may be deducted from your bill

  • Veteran’s Benefits:  Students eligible for VA educational benefits should consult Student Financial Services in Bayley Hall to be certified for payments.
  • Stafford Loans:  Contact Student Financial Services for details.

Note:    Financial aid and other payment difficulties do not excuse a student from payment of a late fee.  Please resolve these problems prior to your payment due date. 

Refund Policy for Total Withdrawal from the University

If a student withdraws from all classes in a given semester prior to the end of that semester, his withdrawal is considered a total withdrawal. The University refund policy for tuition is based on the official date of total withdrawal from the university according to the following schedule:

  • 1 week………….80%     (September 9 – 15)
  • 2 weeks………. 60%     (September 16- 22)
  • 3 weeks………. 40%     (September 23 - 29)
  • 4 weeks………. 20%     (September 30 - October 6)
  • more than 4 weeks – None 

Repayment Policy for Federal Aid Recipients
Students receiving federal financial aid, who completely terminate enrollment or stop attending all classes during a term for which payment has been received before completing more than 60 percent of the enrollment period, are subject to specific federal regulations.

The amount of Title IV aid that a student must repay is determined via the Federal Formula for Return of Title IV funds as specified in Section 484B of the Higher Education Act.  This law also specifies the order of return of the Title IV funds to the programs from which they were awarded.

A repayment may be required when a refund has been processed for a student from financial aid funds in excess of the amount of aid the student earned during the term.  The amount of Title IV aid is determined by multiplying the total Title IV aid (other than Federal Work Study) for which the student qualified by the percentage of time during the term that the student was enrolled. If less aid was disbursed than was earned, the student may receive a late disbursement for the difference.  If more aid was disbursed than was earned, the amount of Title IV aid that must be returned (i.e., that was unearned) is determined by subtracting the earned amount from the amount actually disbursed.

The responsibility for returning unearned aid is allocated between the University and the student according to the portion of disbursed aid that could have been used to cover University charges and the portion that could have been disbursed directly to the student once University charges were covered.  Seton Hall University will distribute the unearned aid back to the Title IV programs as specified by law.  The student will be billed for the amount the student owes to the Title IV Programs and any amount due to the University resulting from the return of Title IV funds used to cover University charges.  

Share This Page

Sign In to PirateNet