Dr. Hansell has devoted her career to the study of children and families dealing with catastrophic illnesses.
Hansell began work focusing on children with cancer advancing to the inclusion
of the families coping with the care or
seriously ill children which she then transitioned to a focus on families'
stress and coping with a children
infected with HIV. At present Dr. Hansell has focused her program of research
on women infected with HIV enabling their power through effective coping aimed
to improve their holistic healthcare outcomes.
Professional and Community Activities:
- Commissioner Catastrophic Illness in Children Relief Fund
Commission, Executive Branch of Government, State of New Jersey.
- Trustee, Partners for Health Foundation for the Communities in
the Montclair Area.
- Trustee, New Jersey Institute for Nursing.
- Member of the Nursing Advisory Board for Gannett Healthcare.
- Reviewer for Nursing Research; the Western Journal
of Nursing Research and the Journal of Nursing Measurement.
- Distinguished Practitioner of the National Academies of
- Collateral Reviewer, Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Commissioner for the National Commission on VA Nursing.
- External Examiner for the University of Botswana. Reviewer for the Ohio Board of Regents. Item Writer for the revised Blue Print of the NCLEX Examination.
Curriculum Vitae »
- Post-Doctoral Studies in Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
- Ed. D. Columbia University; Parent Child Nursing and Nursing Education
- M.Ed. Columbia University; Parent Child Nursing and Nursing Education
- Diploma in Nursing, Mount Sinai Hospital School of Nursing, New York, NY
Selected Grant Funding:
- Department of the Army, COMMANDER’S AWARD for Public Service 2012, Presented by Colonel Twala D. Mathis, HQ, 2nd (FREEDOM BRIGADE, Fort Dix, New Jersey.
- Seton Hall University Woman of the Year, 2012.
- Essex County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Outstanding Healthcare Professional in Nursing and Academia.
- Distinguished Alumni Award for Research and Scholarship, Columbia University, Nursing Alumni.
- Diva Award, New Jersey Institute for Nursing.
- Bishop Bernard Mc Quaid Medal for Distinguished University Service.
- Fellow the American Academy of Nursing.
- Nursing Hall of Honor, Columbia University.
- Distinguished Practitioner, National Academies of Practice, Academy of Nursing
• Distinguished Alumni Awards for Research and Education Fairleigh Dickinson University.
- Distinguished Alumni Award, The Mount Sinai Hospital School of Nursing.
- New Jersey Governor’s Award for Advanced Nursing Practice-Nurse Researcher.
- Excellence in Nursing Research, Gamma Nu Chapter, Sigma That Tau.
- Distinguished Practitioner Award, the Mount Sinai Medical Center.
- Social Support and Coping in Children with HIV, National Institutes for Health, National Institute for Nursing Research, funded for $775,000, 5RO1 NRO2903-03NR/NINR NIH/United States HHS.
- Continuing Care of Cancer Patients, National Cancer Institute/NIH, funded for $250,000.
- Ph.D. Program Development, Phase 2; Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, $1,750,000.
- Ph.D. Program Development, Phase 1; Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, $3,000,000.
- Vertical Integration of the BSN to the Ph.D. in Nursing, Becton Dickinson Foundation, $7,500.
- Global Nursing Fellowships, Becton Dickinson Foundation, $10,000.
- Junior Science Academy for Nursing and the Health Professions, Johnson and Johnson Foundation, $25,000.
- Masters in Critical Care Nursing, funded by the Division of Nursing, Department of Health and Human Services funded for $647,000.
- Clinical Nursing Scholarship Program, Healthcare Foundation of New Jersey, $75,000.