What is Seton Hall Compass?
Seton Hall Compass aims to increase retention and graduation rates by improving student achievement. Developed by the Education Advisory Board (EAB) and accessible through PirateNet, the platform combines technology and research to help students in their academic endeavors. Compass provides faculty, advisers, tutors, and program directors with a convenient way to support students.
Faculty can provide positive feedback and encouragement to students in their classes. Faculty can also raise “alerts” when a concerning pattern of behavior is observed allowing advisers and other support services to intervene. Some students might have academic performance or attendance issues. Compass gives us an efficient way to communicate those concerns to the people who can help, while respecting FERPA and our institution's policies on the privacy of student information.
Increased communication between faculty and administrators is a proven strategy for increasing student success and retention. The partnership and participation of all campus faculty and staff will ensure that each student enrolled at Seton Hall has the best possible chance to succeed.
Key features for students:
- Compass provides you with one central location to find the people and resources on campus to help you succeed. You can access Compass by logging into PirateNet, and clicking on the “Compass” icon.
- Your student profile lets faculty and advisers know who you are and how to contact you. Reminders for appointments and updates are sent to via your student e-mail account.
- By clicking on the “Sign up for Advising” or “Sign up for Tutoring” link, you will be guided through an easy step-by-step process to sign up and confirm your appointment.
Faculty and advisers can also communicate with you through Compass regarding your academic performance. Your profile may include alerts or feedback related to your coursework, as well as recommended referrals to campus support services to help you succeed.
Key features for faculty and advisers:
- Keep track of class attendance in a quick and easy way using the "Record Class Attendance" button.
- Review profiles and provide students with instant positive feedback or identify areas of concerns.
- Respond to progress reports for all of your students in your class at one time.
- Set up appointment availability. Compass syncs with your Outlook calendar seamlessly to include your classes you are teaching and other commitments.
- Send your students a message, set up appointments, and take meeting notes in one secure platform.
Upcoming training for faculty and advisers will be held throughout the year in the Faculty Lounge. Lunch is provided. Reserve your place by emailing email@example.com. Please bring your computer with you for training.
- Thursday, January 18 (2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.)
- Thursday, February 8 (11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.)
- Monday, March 12 (12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.)
Tutorials & Guides
- 2-minute Introduction VIDEO
- Glossary of Compass Terms
- Faculty: Attendance Progress Survey
- Faculty Guide to Compass
- Faculty Advisor Guide to Compass
If there are any questions about this process or suggestions for improvement, please contact us:
Division of Student Services
If you require technical assistance, please contact the service desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, (973) 275-2222 (off campus) or x2222 (on campus).