All laptop hardware repairs are done on-site by PC Support Services in the Technical Support Area and are performed on University issued laptops only.
Faculty laptops in need of repair are replaced with a laptop of the same model.
Student laptop repairs are governed by the Student Participation in Mobile Computing Policy.
- All repairs to University issued laptops must be made through PC Support Services (PCSS). If circumstances make it difficult to have the laptop repaired at Seton Hall, prior authorization must be obtained from PCSS to use another Lenovo certified repair shop prior to any repairs.
- There is no charge to faculty or administrators for warranty or accidental repairs. (Accessories such as cords, AC Adapter/Cord, cases and other accessories outside of the laptop will be charged back to the department or the individual.)
- Faculty or Administrators may be charged the full cost of the repair for non-warranty, non-accidental damage to the equipment. The amount charged per incident will depend on the cost of the parts needed to repair the equipment. If the cost to repair the damage parts exceeds the value of the equipment, the customer may be charged the full replacement value of the equipment.
- If there is a hardware or software problem with the laptop that the technician is not able to resolve immediately, a loaner laptop will be issued to the customer until this laptop is repaired.
- PC Support Services will only support University Standard hardware and software. If there is a software issue that requires that the laptop be re-imaged, PC Support Services will only restore academic data. If time permits and the customer has a copy of any academically related software with a valid license number, the technician will assist faculty or administrators with restoring any academically related software.
- For additional questions regarding the repair of your laptop, please contact the Technology Service Desk at (973) 275-2222 or visit the Technical Service Area located on the first floor of Corrigan Hall.
Employee Stolen Equipment
All incidents of loss or theft must be reported to the University Public Safety and Security Office as soon as possible, but no later than 48 hours after the incident. If the laptop is stolen off-campus, the theft must also be reported to the police department in the municipality in which it was stolen. The employee is also responsible for notifying the Asset Management Office and for bringing a copy of the incident report to the Asset Management Office. When the employee brings the incident report to the Asset Management Office, an appointment will be scheduled for the employee to pick up the replacement laptop.
To contact the Asset Management Office to report a laptop lost or stolen, please call (973) 313-6181 or visit the Asset Management Office in Corrigan Hall.
Loaner Laptop Guidelines
The following SHU students are eligible to borrow a laptop from the TLTC:
- An undergraduate student not in the Mobile Computing Program but taking a class with a technology requirement.
- A graduate student enrolled is a class with a specific technology requirement who does not have his or her own computer.
The laptop can be connected to our network via the wireless network.
- The use of the laptop is limited to a four hour time period.
- The laptop must be checked out in person at the TLTC and returned prior to close of business on the day the laptop is checked out.
- A valid Seton Hall Student or Employee ID Card will be necessary to pick-up the laptop.
- You will be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Receipt and Responsibility form when you pick-up the laptop. Please read this form thoroughly.
- The laptop is loaned out on a first come, first served basis.
- Semester long requests will not be accepted, nor can a laptop be reserved for any person.
May 9, 2008