Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
Students talking one-on-one on a bench

Registrar FAQs

How do I...?

Using your PIN, you may adjust your schedule online within Student Self Service. Be sure to consult your adviser regarding course changes. For in-person adjustments, obtain an Add/Drop form from your adviser or the Office of the Registrar. Complete and secure adviser's signature if adding or changing a course. Drops do not need an adviser's signature. Submit form to the Office of the Registrar before the end of the Add/Drop period. Be sure to check the academic calendar online for the semester add-drop deadline; all registration changes must be completed by this deadline.

Resolve a Time Conflict
Complete the Time Conflict Resolution form, including a description of how you plan to resolve the conflict. Next, obtain the signatures of (all) chairpersons for the departments in which your courses conflict.

Take More Than 18 credits in a Semester
If you have the required 3.0 GPA, obtain a Request to Exceed Normal Course Load form from the Office of the Registrar. Complete the form and secure the signatures of your department chair and the associate dean of your school/college."

Change My Personal Data
Login to the PirateNet portal and click on the "Profile and Finances" tab. Locate the "Personal Information" box which includes links to update address, telephone, e-mail and emergency contact information.  To change your name, complete the Change of Personal Data Form, sign and return to the Office of the Registrar with supporting documentation (marriage certificate, court order, etc.).

Get Signed into a Closed Course
Complete the Add-drop form and obtain the signature of the chairperson for the department in which the course is offered. Some department chairs will require signed approval of the course instructor before they will approve your registration for a closed course. In this case, secure both the signature of the instructor and the chairperson. Check with the department for specific guidelines. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will receive approval to register for a closed course, so please develop some alternative options in the event that your request cannot be approved.

Know My Adviser
If you are a freshman, your adviser will be the mentor assigned to you by Freshman Studies.

After the freshman year, students are assigned an adviser within their academic department, so check with the departmental office for information and assistance. If you have not yet declared your major, you will be assigned an adviser in the College of Arts and Sciences, unless you are seeking admission to another college in which case you will be assigned and adviser within that college.

Whenever you change your major, check with your new department on who will be your adviser.

Obtain My PIN Number
All PIN numbers must be obtained from the student's faculty adviser.

Withdraw from the University
If you need to withdraw from the University on a temporary basis or permanently, please complete the Application for Withdrawal available in the Dean of Students office in the University Center.  If the form is completed within the withdrawal period, you will automatically receive all WD grades.  If the form is completed after the withdrawal period, you must request WD grades from all of your faculty. To request a WD (withdrawal) grade, please complete a Course Adjustment Form and submit it to the faculty member(s) teaching your course(s). Requests for WD grades must be submitted prior to the end of the semester in all cases, and by the deadlines which appear in the semester's academic calendar, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Please include explanations with accompanying documentation with your Course Adjustment Form.

If your withdrawal is temporary, please remember to contact the Office of the Registrar to request reactivation.

Request My Transcript
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for processing transcript requests. All transcripts cost $6 per copy. Visit the Registrar Office website for information on how to request your transcript »

Obtain a Replacement Diploma
If you need a copy of your diploma, please complete the Replacement Diploma form and submit with the replacement fee of $50.

Change Majors
Consult with the department chair of your desired major and complete a Curriculum Adjustment Form with the required signatures. If your new major is in your current school/college, only the department chair needs to approve your request.  If your change of major involves a change of college, then you will also need to have the associate dean of the college sign the form.

Declare/Delete a Minor
Adding a minor: Consult with the department chair of the minor and secure the chair's signature on a Curriculum Adjustment Form.

Deleting a minor: Submit a Curriculum Adjustment Form  and check off the ‘delete minor' option.  Your signature is the only required signature.

Substitute/Waive a Course

  • For a course within your Major: Complete a Curriculum Adjustment form,  indicating the course that was taken and the course that is being replaced. Obtain the signatures of your adviser and the chairperson of the department. Submit the form to the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall.
  • For a  Core Course: Complete a Curriculum Adjustment form, indicating the course that was taken and the course that is being replaced. Obtain the signatures of your chairperson and the associate dean of your college sign. The Dean's Office will forward the form to the Office of the Registrar.

Transfer Equivalent

  • Change a Transfer Course Equivalent
    Complete the Curriculum Adjustment form,  indicating the course that was taken at another institution, its current Seton Hall equivalent and the revised equivalent you are seeking.  Have the form signed by the chairperson of the department that offers the SHU-equivalent course. (Note: Courses taken at New Jersey county colleges have established equivalents through the NJ Transfer process.)
  • Study at Another Institution
    Complete an Application to Study at Another Institution.  Make sure that you secure all the required signatures. The  chairperson(s)  of the department (s) that offer the equivalents of the course(s) you want to take must sign this form and must indicate what SHU-course equivalent has been established for your transfer course.   When this approval process is complete, please sign and submit the form to the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall.


  • A maximum of  12 transfer credits is allowed;
  • Transfer credits may not be taken within your final 30 credits
  • You must send official transcripts to the Office of the Registrar  to receive credits for your transfer course(s).

Take a Course Pass/Fail
Matriculated, undergraduate students may take up to 12 credits of free electives on a Pass/Fail basis. No more than 6 credits however, may be taken on this basis during a 12-month period. To apply to take a course on a Pass/Fail basis, complete a Course Adjustment Form.  You must secure the signatures of the class instructor and your academic dean on this form.  The dean's office will forward the completed form to the Office of the Registrar.  Please remember to consult the semester's academic calendar to determine the deadline for submission of pass-fail requests.

Take an Incomplete
Submit a Course Adjustment Form  to the professor of the course before the officially scheduled final examination. The professor will indicate the date on which all work is due; completion deadline will be a maximum of 12 months or by the time the student has graduated (whichever comes first). The dean must also sign this form. If all work is completed on time, the professor will submit a new Course Adjustment Form within 10 working days, indicating the new grade. See the Course Catalog for any further conditions.

Students who do not resolve an INC grade within the one-year period will receive a failing (FI – Failure die to unresolved Incomplete) grade automatically.

Audit a Course

  • Audit Declaration at Registration
    A course may be audited by filing an Audit Declaration at the time of in-person registration. Tuition is assessed at $600/credit. If the course is subsequently dropped within the Drop/Add period, tuition, but not fees, will be refunded. No refunds will be issued for a Withdrawal from an Audited course.
  • Student Audit Option
    If you decide to audit a course after you have registered for it, you can still elect the audit option  by completing the Course Adjustment Form available from Enrollment Services. You may not change from audit to credit status (or vice-versa) after the fifth week of class or the first third of the course meetings in Summer Session. Full tuition is charged for this method of Audit Declaration.

***** Please refer to the University Catalogues for complete information *******

Back to top