The Reverend Lawrence E. Frizzell joined Seton Hall University in 1974 when he helped to design the curriculum for the Jewish-Christian Studies Graduate Program. This unique curriculum was the first of its kind in the world and continues to serve as a model for educating in ways to increase mutual understanding and harmony.
Today Father Frizzell is the Director and Associate Professor of the Jewish-Christian Studies Graduate Program and the Director of the Institute of Judaeo-Christian Studies, a leading center of expertise committed to the mission of developing, encouraging and increasing the collaborative peace-building efforts of Jewish and Christian scholars, theologians, educators and students.
In 2008 Pope Benedict XVI appointed Father Frizzell Consultor to the Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews in the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and Pope Francis renewed his appointment in 2014. In addition to this work, Father Frizzell is also a regular columnist for The Catholic Advocate, the official newspaper of the Archdiocese of Newark, NJ and is the moderator of The Kinship of Catholics & Jews, a weekly radio program that promotes the shared values of Christians and Jews and is broadcast on Seton Hall’s WSOU 89.5.
A specialist in Jewish-Christian studies and relations, Father Frizzell also explores the impact of Biblical traditions on Catholic liturgy, prayer and ethics.
- D.Phil., University of Oxford, 1974
- S.S.L., Pontifical Biblical Institute, Rome, 1967
- S.T.L., University of Ottawa, 1962
"The Church's Bond with the Jewish People." Word on Worship 29.3: 22-24, January 2012.
"Elijah the Peacemaker: Jewish and Early Christian Interpretations of Malachi." 3:23-24."
Teshuvah Institute Papers, 25-33, January 2011.
"Christian-Jewish Relations: Theological Issues." New Catholic Encyclopedia, 597-605, January 2010.
"The Religious Other as Neighbor."
New Theology Review 22.2: 26-35, May 2009.
"Mary and the Jews: The Gospels and the Early Church."
Marian Studies 60: 129-149, January 2009.
- Sister Rose Thering Holocaust Education Award (2015)
- Consultor to Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, Vatican City (2008-2018)
- McQuaid Medal for Distinguished Service from Seton Hall University (2007)
- The Honey and Maurice Axelrod Award from the NJ Department of Education, State Holocaust Commission (June 2006)
- Canada Council Grant (1970-73)