Small College and University Faculty Forum: a forum within the College and University Faculty Forum of the National Council for the Social Studies
Member and served as Chair elect during 2012 and as Chair in 2013.
The Center for Global Education at Seton Hall University:
co-founder (summer 2007) and currently co-director of the Center for Global Education at Seton Hall University. Partner with Street Law, and the Constitutional Rights Foundation (Chicago and LA) on Deliberations in a Democracy (DID) Program. Seton Hall served as New Jersey site for Deliberating in a Democracy Program with high school students and teachers in both New Jersey and Ukraine. For three years sponsored professional development training and travel to Ukraine for New Jersey teachers, and hosted Ukrainian educators in New Jersey.
-Initiated a university DID program currently involving Seton Hall students and students and teachers at the Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University in Ukraine and the University of Educational Sciences in Vilnius. Seton Hall students work each year with high school and university students from New Jersey, Ukraine and Lithuania
The Collegiate Alliance for Social Education (CASE): founding member of a statewide network of college professors and other professionals interested in social studies education (2005-present).
The New Jersey Social Studies Supervisors Association:
founding member of the statewide organization of supervisors of social studies (2002)
New Jersey Center for Civic Education:
-Co-founder (1989) and currently member of the Advisory Board of The New Jersey Center for Civic Education. Originally housed at Seton Hall, currently at Rutgers University. This statewide center provides conferences and training in law-related education (LRE) for teachers grades pre K-twelve; summer leadership training institutes; preservice civic initiatives; and in-service workshops.
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Ed.D.
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Ed.M
- West Virginia University, B.S.
- Zaleskiene, I and Daly, J (2014). Socialiniam ugdymui(si) palanki aplinka ir jos kurimo straegijos (Strategies for Establishing Socioeducational Environment).Socialinis ugdymas (Social education).38(2), 17-27.
- Marks, M., Binkley, R., & Daly, J. (2014). Preservice teachers and religion: Serious gaps in religious knowledge and the first amendment. The Social Studies 105(5), 245-256.
- Daly, J.K. (Spring 2013). Social innovations and partnerships for strengthening social cohesion: Teacher education and globalization (Socialines Inovacijos Ir Partneryste Socialine, Sanglaudai Stiprinti: Mokytoju Rengimas Ir Globalizacija). Socialinis Ugdymas. (nr 1. 33) Intraukiamoji Kultura Ir Strategijos/ Inclusive Cultures and Strategies. Edukologija, Vilnius, Lt
- Daly, J.K. (Winter-Spring 2012). Defending Academic Freedom for Teachers. Social Science Docket. (12) no. 1, p2-3.
- Daly, J.K..(November/December 2010). Learning about Teacher and Student Freedom. Social Education (Special Issue on Academic Freedom), (74) no 6, 304-307.
- Daly, J.K., Devlin-Scherer, R, Burroughs, G, & McCartan, W. (April-June 2010), The Status of Civic Education: A Preservice Program Response. The Educational Forum, (74), no 2 p 117-128.
- Katz, D., Devlin-Scherer, R., Daly, J, McCartan, W., Burroughs, G. (Fall 2010). Successful structures for field experiences in secondary settings. The Field Experience Journal (6), 1-18.
Some prior publications include:
Daly, J, Schall, P & Skeele, R. Protecting the Right to Teach and Learn: Power, Politics and Public Schools. Teacher's College Press, NY. November 2000.
Daly, J. (2012) Infusing Civic Engagement into the Teacher Education Program:
Authentic Experiences in Addressing Diversity. In G. Hickey and B. Lanahan (Eds). Even the Janitor Is White: Educating for Cultural Diversity in Small Colleges and Universities, Peter Lang Publishing, NY.
Scholarly peer reviewed paper presentations:
- Pearcy, M, Daly, J, Stricker, K, Camardese, A, Lanahan, B, Vawter, D & Hill-Anderson, B. (November, 2014). SCUFF:edTPA Strategies and Challenges, College and University Faculty Forum; National Council for the Social Studies, Boston, MA.
- Daly, J.K., Marks, M., and Binkley (November, 2013). Can you say Hallelujah? Teaching about religion in schools. National Council for the Social Studies Annual Conference, St. Louis, Mo.
- Daly, J.K. (November, 2013). Education for Social Responsibility and Innovative Methodologies Socialiai atsakingos asmenybės ugdymas ir inovatyvios metodologijos. Tarptautinė mokslinė praktinė konferencija „Socialinio ugdymo/si teorija ir praktika: tendencijos, iššūkiai ir galimybės“.An International, Scientific and Practical Conference “Social Education Theory and Practice: Tendencies, Challenges and Possibilities,” Lithuanian University of Educational Sciences, Vilnius, Lt.
- Daly, J.K. (November 2012). Structured Academic Controversy as a Way for Civic Empowering of Students at University. SOCIALINĖS INOVACIJOS IR PARTNERYSTĖ SOCIALINĖS SANGLAUDOS PLĖTRAI”, The Lithuanian University of Education Sciences, Vilnius, Lt.
- Lanahan, B, Marks, M, Daly, Brinks, R. J. (November 2012). 'Oh, it's you again...' Looping’ in social studies teacher education programs at small colleges and universities”. College and University Faculty Assembly (CUFA) of the National Council for the Social Studies Seattle, WA.
- Marks, M., Daly, J., Brinks, R. (November 2012) “Religious Literacy: Surveying future teachers” College and University Faculty Assembly (CUFA) of the National Council for the Social Studies Seattle, WA.
- Daly, J.K., Roman, M., & Burroughs, G. the NAFSA 2012 Annual Convention and Expo, Houston, Texas, May 21-June 1. Globally Aware: The impact of comprehensive internationalization in Teacher Education.
- Daly, J.K., Roman, M., & Burroughs, G. CIES 56th Annual Conference of the Comparative and International Education Society (CIES), San Juan, Puerto Rico, April 22-27. Title: Worldwide Revolution: Preparing Teacher Education Candidates to Prepare Students to Learn about the World
- Daly, J.K., Roman, M., & Burroughs, G. (February, 2011). Preparing candidates to teach in a global world: internationalizing the curriculum. Association for Teacher Education Annual Conference, Orlando, Fl.
- Daly, J.K., Roman, M., & Burroughs, G. (December, 2010). Crossing borders: preparing teacher education candidates to prepare students to learn about the world. The 2nd East Asian International Conference on Teacher Education Research, Hong Kong, China.
Conference Presentations and workshops:
- Daly, J.K, Zaleskiene, I, Foster, D., LaChac, L., Mangione, C, and Birch, B. (November 2014). Teacher Education: Addressing Global Perspectives and Challenges, International Assembly, National Council for the Social Studies, Boston, MA.
- Daly, J.K, Zaleskiene, I, Foster, D., LaChac, L., Mangione, C, and Birch, B. (November 2014). Teacher Education: Addressing Global Perspectives and Challenges. Poster session National Council for the Social Studies, Boston, MA.
- Daly, J., Fabres-Cordera, D., McNair, M., Sardone, N. (November 2014). Teaching Peace: A Collaborative Project with an Urban District. Poster session N, Boston, MA. National Council for the Social Studies
- Daly, J., & Marks, M. (2013). Gatekeepers or Advocates? Faculty in Small Colleges, College and University Faculty Assembly, the National Council for the Social Studies, November, St. Louis: MO.
- Daly, J. K, and Sardone, N. (November 2013) Children’s Literature - Using UDHR as a Framework for Developing Elementary Social Justice Lessons, National Council for the Social Studies Annual Conference, St Louis, Mo.
Named to the Fulbright Specialist Roster in Spring 2013.
During Fall 2014 semester awarded grant to teach at the Lithuanian University of Educational Sciences, Vilnius, Lt. Taught undergraduate and graduate courses on social education methodologies focused on civic education in a global context.