As writing faculty and Coordinator of Second Language Writing I am deeply interested in the intersection of L1 and L2 writing theory and pedagogy and the role of metacognition in shaping multilingual students’ writerly identities. My research interests and areas of scholarship include threshold concepts in writing studies; metacognition and writing knowledge transfer; writing center pedagogy and practice for multilingual learners; international writing research; and teacher education in global settings. In addition to teaching first-year composition, I teach upper level writing and other writing intensive courses. In 2013 I received a Fulbright Specialist grant to Vietnam where I served as an academic consultant, lecturer, and teacher trainer at two institutions of higher education--The Banking Academy of Vietnam in Hanoi and Ha Nam College of Education in Ha Nam province. I currently also serve as director of the Prestigious Fellowships Program for the Provost’s Office.
- Ph.D., New York University
- M.A., Rutgers University--Newark
“Liminal Encounters in Writing Center Conferences: Threshold Concepts, Tutor Roles, and Multilingual Writing.” WLN: A Journal of Writing Center Scholarship. Special Issue on Transfer of Learning in the Writing Center. (Forthcoming).
“Recall, Reframe, Reflect: A Threshold Concepts Framework for First Year Writing.” Teaching at the Intersection of Cognition and Writing. Edited by Patricia Portanova, Michael Rifenburg, and Duane Roen. NCTE. (Forthcoming).
“Liminal Space as a Generative Site of Struggle: Writing Transfer and L2 Students.” Critical Transitions: Writing and the Question of Transfer. Edited by Chris Anson and Jessie Moore. WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press--Perspectives on Writing Series.
“Expanding Horizons: A Second Language Acquisition Approach to Writing Center Practice” Review of Multilingual Writers and Writing Centers by Ben Rafoth. WPA: Writing Program Administration. 39.1. 164-169, Fall 2015.
“Increasing Student Metacognition and Transfer Through Reflective Writing.” Teaching U.S.-Educated Multilingual Writers: Practice for and from the Classroom. Mark Roberge, Margi Wald, and Kay Losey, eds., University of Michigan Press ELT. 2015.
Language: A Reader for Writers, Oxford University Press, 2013. https://global.oup.com/ushe/product/language-9780199947485?lang=en&cc=us
“Assessing Generation 1.5 Learners: The Revelations of Directed Self-placement.” Writing Assessment in the 21st Century: Essays in Honor of Edward M. White. Norbert Elliot and Les Perelman, eds. Hampton Press. 2012. http://www.hamptonpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=978-1-61289-087-6
“Literature-with-Exposition: A Critical Thinking and Writing Assignment.” The College Writing Toolkit: Tried and Tested Ideas for Teaching College Writing. Martha C Pennington and Pauline Burton, eds. Equinox Books: London, U.K. 2011. https://www.equinoxpub.com/home/view-chapter/?id=25913
“Critical Thinking in College Writing.” Writing Spaces: Reading on Writing, Volume II. Charlie Lowe and Pavel Zamliansky, eds. Parlor Press: Anderson, South Carolina. 2011. http://writingspaces.org/dasbender--critical-thinking-in-college-writing
“Orientation and Mentoring: Collaborative Practices in Teacher Preparation.” Preparing College Teachers of Writing: Histories, Theories, Programs, and Practices.” Betty P. Pytlik and Sarah Liggett, eds. Oxford University Press, New York. 2002. https://global.oup.com/academic/product/preparing-college-teachers-of-writing-9780195143096?cc=us&lang=en&#
“Narrative in Composition: Locating Story in Expository Writing.” Critical Studies. The Multidisciplinary Journal of the Graduate Student Organization of the School of Education. Vol. 2, New York University. Fall 1994.
- Visiting Scholar, Academic Consultant, and Faculty Development Coordinator, Ha Nam College of Education, Phu Ly city, Vietnam. 2014, 2015
- Fulbright Specialist grant to Vietnam, U.S. Department of State, 2013
- Research Seminar on Critical Transitions: Writing and the Question of Transfer, Elon University, 2011-2013. Competitive selection
- New Jersey Higher Education Policy Analyst, Policy Analysis Initiative of TYCA, NCTE, and CCCC. 2014-2018
- Fulbright National Screening Committee member, 2016-2019, Fulbright Student English Teaching Assistants to Taiwan, Institute of International Education, U.S. Department of State
- Peer Reviewer, Fulbright Specialist Program, U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and World Learning. 2017
- Reviewer, Journal of Writing Assessment, Summer 2017
- Reviewer, Composition Forum, Spring 2017
- Stage 1 proposal reviewer, Conference on College Composition and Communication, 2017, 2016.
- Reviewer, College English, Special issue on writing assessment as social justice, Fall 2015
- Reviewer, The Writing Center Journal, Fall 2015
- Reviewer, The International Research Foundation (TIRF), Doctoral Dissertation Grants, 2014
- Treasurer, New Jersey College English Association, 2006-2017