Sheri Levinsky-Raskin earned her M.A.T. in museum education from the George Washington University and her B.A. from Washington University in St. Louis with a major in cultural anthropology and minors in art history and elementary education. She also holds certificates in Business Excellence from Columbia University, Specialization in Historic Preservation from Goucher College, and Professional Fundraising from Boston University. She received the 2010 Educator Award from the Historic Naval Ships Association for her creation of education programming at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum; cultivating collaborations with community organizations including New York City's Department of the Homeless, Department of Aging, Department of Education for Hospital Schools; and extending outreach programs to libraries, hospitals, and centers for special needs audiences.
An active contributor to the museum education field since 1996, Sheri Levinsky-Raskin is currently the Assistant Vice President for Research and Evaluation at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum where she has led various initiatives since 2005. Currently she oversees internal research and assessment initiatives for institution-wide programming, exhibitions, and visitor experiences at the Intrepid Museum, managing all aspects of research initiatives; internal systems; outcomes measurements and assessment; and data collection, analysis and reporting practices. Professional highlights from previous positions at the Intrepid Museum include increasing the level of funding from city and state sources and corporate and family foundations for education programs; developing leadership programs for high school students; overseeing contracts with the Department of Education; proposal writing and funding research; and planning and preparing for the Intrepid's closure in 2006 and reopening in 2008.
Prior to her work at the Intrepid Museum, Sheri was the director of education and programs at the Decatur House Museum in Washington, DC, a volunteer at the Corcoran Museum of Art, a part-time museum educator at the Saint Louis Art Museum, a museum education intern at the Art Institute of Chicago, and a lead kindergarten teacher and summer camp supervisor at the Jewish Community Center in St. Louis.
Sheri volunteers on steering committees for the Museum Access Consortium (MAC) and the American Alliance of Museum's Professional Education Network (EdCom), and is a former president and vice president of the NYC Museum Educators Roundtable (NYCMER). She has published articles on topics of accessibility, inclusion, out-of-school time programs at museums, and evaluation practices, and has presented nationally at numerous professional conferences exploring questions and topics in the fields of museum education, access, research and evaluation, and collaboration.
- Certificate in Professional Fundraising, Boston University
- Certificate in Business Excellence, Columbia University
- Specialist in Historic Preservation, Goucher College
- M.A.T., George Washington University
- B.A., Washington University in St. Louis
- Houck, J., Kennedy, L., Levinsky-Raskin, S., McLaughlin, K., and Saleem, S. (2017). "Greater Opportunities Advancing Leadership and Science (GOALS) for Girls at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum." Out-of-School-Time STEM Programs for Females: Implications for Research and Practice (Volume I: Longer-Term Programs). Ed. Lynda R. Wiest, Information Age Publishing Inc. p 123-150.
- Levinsky-Raskin, S. and Stevens, G. (2016). "Nothing About Us Without Us: Reflections on Inclusive Practices at Cultural Institutions." Museum, January/February 2016. American Alliance of Museums. Pp. 18-24.
- Leist, A., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and Stemler, B. (2015). Visitor Voices: A Story of Accessibility and Inclusion. Museum, September/October 2015. American Alliance of Museums. Pp. 36-42.
Professional Conference Presentations:
- Arduini, S., Levinsky-Raskin, S., Marino, R., Steele-Inama, M., and Wood, K. (2017). "a Culture of Evaluative Thinking and Strategy." American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting.
- Bagnall, E., Gunther, C., Johnson, K., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and Puretz, P. (2017). "Forwarding Accessibility via Collective Community Networks." American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting.
- Guiomar, M. and Levinsky-Raskin, S. (2017). "Visitors Insights Matter: How Front-end Evaluation Can Help Change the Face of Museums." Museum Association of New York.
- Levinsky-Raskin, S. (2016). "Data-Driven Transformations: Developing and using evaluation to transform STEM programs." Association of Science and Technology Centers.
- Armstrong, J., Dierking, L., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and Plemons, K. (2016). "Mining Your Data!." American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting.
- Guiomar, M., Fugina, J., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and Williams, J. (2017). "Taking Steps Towards Visitor Insights Driving Change and Practice." Visitor Experience Conference
- Armstrong, J., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and Plemons, K. (2015). "Mining Your Data: New Ways of Using What You Have." New York City Museum Educators Roundtable Annual Conference Presentation.
- Leist, A., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and Stemler, B. (2015). "Visitor Voices: A Story of Accessibility and Inclusion." American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting Conference Presentation.
- Arduini, S., Carlin-Morgan, K., Fromm, A., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and Mahon, E. (2014). "Communities of Practice: Museum Professionals Unite!." American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting Conference Presentation.
- Levinsky-Raskin, S., Stemler, B., and VandenBosch, C. (2014). "Objects Big & Small: Utilizing Artifacts for Special Needs Audiences." Mutual Concerns of Air and Space Museums Annual Conference Presentation.
- Appelbaum, M., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and VandenBosch, C. (2013). "Engaging People with Autism in Museums: Best Practices and Lessons Learned." Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums Annual Meeting Presentation.
- Hintz, J., Kichorowsky, A., and Levinsky-Raskin, S. (2010). "Cultivating Communities: Museum Outreach in Healthcare Settings." American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting Conference Presentation.
- Boehm, E., Levinsky-Raskin, S., and Williams, J., (2009). "Three Approaches to Revealing the Humanity Behind the Hardware: Artifact Collections, Aircraft and Educational Interactives." New York State Historical Association Annual Meeting Conference Presentation.
- American Alliance of Museums EdComVersation Online Discussion (August 2017). Excellence and Equity at 25, Then, Now, Next
- American Alliance of Museums EdComVersation Online Discussion (July 2017). AAM Annual Meeting Reflections on Diversity, Equity, Accessibility and Inclusion
- American Alliance of Museums EdComVersation Online Discussion (April 2017). Developing a Strategy for Inclusion and Diversity
- American Alliance of Museums EdComVersation Online Discussion (March 2017). Race, Dialogue and Inclusion
- American Alliance of Museums EdCom Google+ Hangout Online Discussion (August 2016). Discussing Identity, Bias, Privilege and Diversity in the Museum Field
- American Alliance of Museums EdCom Virtual Book Club Online Discussion (July 2016). Enhancing the Health and Wellness of our Visitors
- American Alliance of Museums EdCom Virtual Book Club Online Discussion Series (October 2015). Stories of Inclusion: Inclusive Practices at Cultural Institutions