Ruth Tsuria earned her Ph.D. from Texas A&M University Department of Communication. Her research investigates the intersection of digital media, religion, and feminism (see below) with a focus on developing theoretical tools to understand online discourse and interrogate the relationship between technology and society.
She has received several awards, such as the "Emerging Scholar" award and the STAR Award, a dissertation writing fellowship from the College of Liberal Arts, Texas A&M University.
She has published articles in various academic outlets, such as The Communication Review and New Media + Society. Dr. Tsuria has presented her research at numerous national and international communication, media, and religion conferences. She is currently working on her first book Holy Women, Pious Sex, Sanctified Internet: New Media in the Jewish Bedroom.
- Ph.D., Texas A&M University
- M.A., Copenhagen University, Denmark
- B.A., Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
- Apryl Williams, Ruth Tsuria, and Laura Robinson (Eds.). (Forthcoming, Nov 2018). Media and Power in International Contexts: perspectives on Agency and Idenity. USA: Emerald Publishing.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Tsuria, R. (2018). From Sin to Sick – Digital Judaism and Pornography. Journal of Media and Religion 16(4).
- Tsuria, R., Yadlin-Segal, A., Vitullo, A., and Campbell, A. (May 2017). Approaches to Digital Methods in Studies of Digital Religion. The Communication Review, Vol. 20(2).
- Tsuria, R. (2016). Jewish Q&A Online and the Regulation of Sexuality: Using Foucault to read Technology. Social Media + Society, July-September 2016, Vol. 2(3).
- Tsuria, R. (2015). Islamophobia in Arab Online Media. CyberOrient, Vol. (9)1.
- Bellar, W, Campbell, H. A., Kyong Cho, J., Terry, A., Tsuria, R., Yadlin-Segal, A. and Ziemer, J. (2013). Reading Religion in Internet Memes. Journal of Religion, Media & Digital Culture, Vol. 2(2).
- Tsuria, R. (2013). Islamophobia and Polemics Online. Scripta Instituti Donneriani Aboensis Vol. 25, based on the Donner Institute conference on Digital Religion, Turku University, Finland.
- Tsuria, R. (2015). Book Review: The Mediatization of Culture and Society by Stig Hjarvard. New Media & Society, Vol. 17(10).
- Tsuria, R. (2016). Book Review: Deconstructing Islamophobia in Poland by Katarzyna Górak-Sosnowska. Journal of Religion, Media and Digital Culture, Vol. 5(1).
- 2018 Emerging Scholar Award: Religion in Society
- 2017 Tiffany Hunnicutt Award, Outstanding Graduate Student Award
- 2017 STAR Award, Dissertation Writing Fellowship - College of Liberal Arts, Texas A&M University
- 2016 George Bush Foundation Graduate Student Travel Grant
- 2016 Dissertation Fellowship Award - Texas A&M Women and Gender Studies
- 2015 Top Graduate Paper Award - Communicating Diversity Student Conference
- 2014 The Association of Jewish Studies (AJS) Graduate Student Travel Grant
- 2012 Oticon Fonden, Graduate Student Award