Individuals are eligible to participate in the Seton Hall University Upward Bound Project if they meet the requirements below. Individuals must be:
- a citizen, national or permanent resident of the United States,
- in the United States for other than temporary purposes and provide evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service of their intent to become permanent residents,
- potential first-generation college students, or low-income individuals (preferably both),
- have a need for academic support, as determined by the institute, in order to pursue successfully a program of education beyond high school,
- at the time of the initial selection, have completed the eighth grade, but have not entered the twelfth grade and are at least 13 years old, but not older than 19.