Hiring a Student in 4 Easy Steps
Graduate and Undergraduate students are eligible to work. Positions are not defined by the enrollment status of the student. All positions must be approved by the Student Employment Office regarding rate of pay before they can be filled.1. Review
2. Post & Review
- Federal vs. Department Funded
- I-9 Regulations - Must be completed prior to working! Students that begin working prior to completion and submission of the I-9 form will be charged to the department's budget.
- Time Sheet Process and Schedule
- Supervisor guidelines
- Supervisors post available positions.
- To post positions, log on to here »
- Review each applicant and respond to them in a timely manner.
- Select candidates and invite for interview. Notify candidates who are not selected.
- Close the position.
- Review responsibilities and position expectations.
- Explain all aspects of the position and ask if there are questions.
- Confirm student’s acceptance of the position.
- Advise the student to complete the I-9 form if he/she has never worked on campus.
- Complete SEA and forward to Student Employment.
- Receive approved SEA from Student Employment before student begins working.
- Give student a copy of the time sheet schedule.
- Verify work hours with the student.
- Complete confidentiality agreement with student (optional).