Office of Student Employment

FAQ's for Students

Who can work? 
Graduate and Undergraduate students are eligible to work as long as they are registered at least half-time in a matriculating program.  Here at Seton Hall half-time for Undergraduate students is 6 credits and half-time for Graduate students is 5 credits.

When can I start working? 
Students are only permitted to begin working once they obtain access to the Kronos system to complete a timesheet.  Once students appear on the supervisors Kronos list, only then are the students able to begin working.  Supervisors are responsible for notifying their students of the authorized start date.  Students are prohibited from working prior to the processing of the hiring proposal and receiving final approval.

Do I have to apply every year even if I worked for a department the year before? 
Yes.  Students are hired based on eligibility for a specific period of time.  Once the end date on this assignment is reached, the student is no longer authorized to work.  Supervisors are required to complete a hiring proposal every fiscal year.

Do I have to complete another SEA if I worked for a department the year before?  
Yes.  Students are hired for a specific period of time.  Once the SEA ending date is reached, the student is no longer authorized to work.  Supervisors must complete a new SEA for the next award period.

Can I have more than one position on campus? 
No.  Students are only permitted 1 position on campus regardless of the number of hours they are working.  Students   working for a special program and receives a stipend can not accept another position.

If I am a Graduate Assistant (Provost approved) can I work outside of my Graduate Assistant assignment? 
No.  Graduate Assistants are contracted for 20 hours and it is considered their one and only position.  Graduate Assistants can not accept a second position.

What is Federal Work Study (FWS)? 
Students must have filed a FAFSA and have Financial Aid eligibility.  Based on the information provided from the FAFSA, students may be eligible for FWS pending their remaining need after other financial aid is awarded.  Because financial aid can change throughout the year, FWS eligibility can also change.

What is University Funded (UF)? 
All students are eligible for employment under UF.  Students do not have to demonstrate financial need.  Students who are no longer eligible for FWS may be switched to UF.  In the event a department no longer has FWS funds available, students would be switched to UF.  Departmental funds are maintained and allocated by the hiring department.

How many hours can I work? 
Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year.  During the summer and specifically defined times, as assigned by Student Employment, students may work up to 33 hours per week.

I was awarded Federal Work Study on my Financial Aid Notice.  Does this guarantee me a job? 
No.  There are more students than positions, students must apply and be hired for a position.    The Office of Student Employment does not place students in positions.

Do I have to complete an I-9 form every year? 
No, you must complete the I-9 form once.

Do I have to complete a W-4 form every year? 
No. However, if you wish to change any information, you must complete a new form in the Payroll Office, located in Bayley Hall.   This office maintains all W-4 forms.

Can I change positions during the year? 
Yes, but only when you have given notice to the first department that you are leaving. You must also notify Student Employment of your resignation.  Students will have to remain with the department until the end of a pay period and may not begin working until they have completed a SEA for the new department and received approval from Student Employment.
Contact Us

Office of Student Employment
(973) 761-9085
Bayley Hall


Sign In to PirateNet