In case of an emergency, dial 911!
In the event of an on-campus emergency requiring immediate notification and response by police, fire, or emergency medical services agencies, please dial 9-1-1. There is no need to first dial 11 to obtain an outside line. All 9-1-1 calls from Seton Hall University telephones are answered by the South Orange Police Department Communications Center. These calls are also monitored by the SHU Department of Public Safety & Security. View a comprehensive list of emergency preparedness procedures »
Basic Emergency ProceduresIf the campus emergency siren sounds or you receive instructions to seek shelter:
Fire alarm activates or you detect a fire:
- Go indoors immediately and into a room that can be locked or barricaded.
- Quietly monitor PirateAlert and the SHU Web Site for further instructions.
- If the threat is a hostile intruder, plan what action your group would take if the intruder attempts to enter your room.
- If the intruder is in your building and you can safely escape, go to another building.
- Immediately exit the building through the nearest safe fire exit. Use an alternate fire exit in case the nearest is blocked by fire or smoke.
- If the fire alarm is not ringing, activate an alarm pull station as you exit the building and call 9-1-1 once you are outside.
- Go to the assembly point for your building and await instructions from emergency personnel.
- If you are mobility impaired and cannot use stairs, go to a marked fire stairwell and report your location to 9-1-1. Ask persons exiting past you to notify emergency personnel of your location.
- If fire/smoke blocks normal exits, use a fire escape or ground floor window, if available.
- If you cannot safely exit the building, stay inside the room, seal the door with wet towels, duct tape, etc., report your location to 9-1-1, and signal emergency personnel through a window
Instructions received to evacuate your building or the campus:
- Evacuate when directed through PirateAlert or by emergency personnel.
- The evacuation may be ordered in stages to avoid traffic jams.
- Only take items needed for health and safety.
- For evacuations on foot, proceed as directed. Assist mobility impaired persons or report their location to emergency personnel.
- For evacuations by motor vehicle, go to your vehicle when instructed to do so. If you do not have access to a motor vehicle, go to an announced transportation staging area.
- Proceed to designated assembly points or relocation sites announced in the emergency instructions.
REPORT EMERGENCY SITUATIONS OR SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY TO 9-1-1!